WC54 Combat Rims - Runflat Bands

N.O.S.

Question

The WC54 wheel assembly contains a metal band (I assume a runflat device?) to retain beads against rims - not having pulled one apart it looks like the valve stem passes through this plate.

Can this be simply left off when replacing tyres if runflat capability not required, or is the plate essential to provide support and act as a gaiter for the valve stem and tube?

Combat rim.JPG

Edited by N.O.S.

6 answers to this question

Both mine run quite happily on rubber bands between tube and rim. They have a cord type stiff edge. Very easy to do, once the bead is brocken it takes about ten to fifteen minutes to get tyre changed checked inflated and back on vehicle. Just **&^%$$£ Heavy!.With a bit of luck I'll have one off tommorow so will photgraph it for you.

How do you break the beads? The angle iron and sledgehammer method?

Thanks for your replies.

No mate! The last lot was the £10 note method, and a friendly garage! :D Tomorow should hopefully be a mate with a portable pnuematic ex German army portable bead breacker, and box of teabags.

No mate! The last lot was the £10 note method, and a friendly garage! :D Tomorow should hopefully be a mate with a portable pnuematic ex German army portable bead breacker, and box of teabags.

Said bead breaker will be fine with your rubber flaps, but if the steel bead locks bands are still in place would it not be a real problem to push the beads in off the rims?