Jeep Valve Seat Replacement

Max Reheat

Hi, my first 'proper' post! :)

My Jeep has been running rough as rats and was down on compression on No. 3 cylinder.

Finally got the head off today after several months intending to (over due DIY commitments :rolleyes:) to reveal a valve seat insert (No. 3 exhaust) that has worked out and has been rattling loose - see photo.

In the last hour I have come to terms with the fact that it's a full strip to a bare block for new seat pockets to be machined and new inserts pressed in :shocked:. I was wondering whether I should just go the whole hog and get new valves and guides while its apart - I haven't had the valves out yet to check them - any views?

Whilst I can strip the block myself, can anyone recommend anywhere local to the Bristol area for this reseating job?

I have spoken to Hurley in Bath, and whilst they could do it they were reluctant to give any idea on cost before seeing the block and weren't familiar with Jeeps.

Engine Services Ltd in the Midlands were clued up regarding Jeeps and this job in particular, and quoted £275+VAT for all 8 new seats, new guides and a block skim which sounds good to me but it's a bit of a trek.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

25072013.jpg

If you are stripping and sending to the machine shop I would do a proper job, measure the valve stems and guides against the factory specs, check the springs and replace as needed. In fact for the small extra cost check your crank mains and big ends bores and rings at the same time. 'Do it once do it right' is a good maxim to work to. The truth is a part job will only cost more money in the long run in both hard cash and grief :cry:.

A word of warning look for a machine shop that is used to dealing with older engines I have an excellent machine shop I use here in Carmarthen but that's a bit of a hike for you from Bristol you should be able to find a good shop in the Midlands I would have thought.

Pete

Hi, my first 'proper' post! :)

My Jeep has been running rough as rats and was down on compression on No. 3 cylinder.

Finally got the head off today after several months intending to (over due DIY commitments :rolleyes:) to reveal a valve seat insert (No. 3 exhaust) that has worked out and has been rattling loose - see photo.

In the last hour I have come to terms with the fact that it's a full strip to a bare block for new seat pockets to be machined and new inserts pressed in :shocked:. I was wondering whether I should just go the whole hog and get new valves and guides while its apart - I haven't had the valves out yet to check them - any views?

Whilst I can strip the block myself, can anyone recommend anywhere local to the Bristol area for this reseating job?

I have spoken to Hurley in Bath, and whilst they could do it they were reluctant to give any idea on cost before seeing the block and weren't familiar with Jeeps.

Engine Services Ltd in the Midlands were clued up regarding Jeeps and this job in particular, and quoted £275+VAT for all 8 new seats, new guides and a block skim which sounds good to me but it's a bit of a trek.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers.

I think that whilst the joy of owning a jeep, MV or any classic car is the ability to work on with basic tools and knowledge without some facilities some jobs can be a bit daughting.

I can thoroughly recommend Engine Services, they did a rebuild for me last year; with a couple of other jeep engines in a queue behind mine. They also deal with a well known parts supplier so there was no hassle there either. Like you though I had a bit of a trek but money well spent.

Also my issue was a valve seat (no 4) working loose!!