CMP camoflage

ColinR

• 9 months later...

Just looking at this old thread and wondered did you go for plain or camo?

There's a certain 'something' about camo, whether or not it's authentic, don't you think?

width=210 height=250http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb48/savannahwitch/psdelight609-2z-camouflage.jpg[/img]

I mean when everyone else goes wandering off the field, the loo roll and newspaper in hand.........dead giveaway, but the real deal is:

width=300 height=286http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb48/savannahwitch/camo_tp.jpg[/img]

And then of course you get the camo Christmas wish list:

width=204 height=333http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb48/savannahwitch/em9393z-army-soldier.jpg[/img]

Merry Christmas, by the way, there was a Santa in camo, but it just didn't look right.

Had someone come running out of their house jump into their convertible XR3i Then back out onto a clear road, go about 60 feet backwards . Straight into the front NATO hitch of my FFR109 series 3. First words out of their mouth, 'Oh I didn't see it parked there'. AND It was in SAND not DPM.

Second question after viewing the mangled remains of the rear of the car. 'Do you think there is more than £120 of damage ?'

Hi,

According to "Military Training Pamplet No.46: Camouflage", which was a large multi part publication,crossing many dates, Part 4a; Painting of Mechanical Transport, issued in Nov '41, states that "for convenience, two colours only are generally used;

For England and Northern Europe, the light colour may be Kharki Green no 3 or Standard Camouflage Colour no.2, (brown) and a disruptive colour 'should be', VERY Dark Brown.

Thus TWO colourways are sanctioned, Dark Brown on Green OR Dark Brown on Brown.

You're spoilt for choice depending on the era you want. In that pamphlet the dark was always on the whole of the roof & cab, most of the wings & various types of spodges & splatters around the sides.

The earlier system in 1939 (MTP No.20) was very markedly disruptive I assume that continued until Nov.1941 as I have not found a publication in between. Pattern, very much like recent British NATO camo patterns. But the colours then were the basic colour Khaki Green No.3 with disruptive in Dark Green No.4 or for light backgrounds, Light Green No.5. There is reference to a third colour being used "under certain circumstances".

Hiya,

June 1939 M.T.P. 20: The Candians apparently followed this scheme from the start, which called for a two colour camouflage in Khaki Green N°3 (BS 381C middle bronze green N°23) and Light Green N°5 disruptive (Light Bronze Green N°22). Occasionally Plain G3 or G5 were used. There are instaces known where a third colour acting as a border between the two greens was used.

January 1941 A.C.I. 1559: This stipulated that whilst using the same pattern as M.T.P 20, bodywork should be painted Khaki Green N°3 with "Nobel's Dark Tarmac" replacing G5 as disruptive. Tilts, on the other hand, due to the detrimental effects these paints had on canvas, were to be painted in S.C.C 7 Dk. Olive Green (instead of G3) and S.C.C. 1A Very Dk. Brown (instead of Dk. Tarmac). Now that must look odd!

November 1941 A.C.I. 2202: This ran to July '42 until replaced by M.T.P.46. Maintains the M.T.P. 20 standard but introduces S.C.C.2 Khaki Green (Brown to you and me) with S.C.C. 1A Very Dk. Brown disruptive, both introduced to obviate the shortage of Chromic Oxide (used to make green paint) which was reserved for the RAF. S.C.C. 1A was also used to completely cover the upper surface of the body and tilt. In absence of S.C.C. 1A, it was possible to use S.C.C. 14 Charcoal.

Hope this helps,

Stef

Colin, Following on to my comments on this thread, http://www.hmvf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=38&topic=6947.0

Mike Starmer has identified the same Khaki Green No. 3 on my 1939 Norton and its Lucas components as on a 1941 built Canadian Carrier so there is a remarkable consistency and it would seem to be the correct factory colour.

In addition to Mike making his own matches, my parts have also been scanned by The Vintage paint Company with whom Mike has previously worked.

http://www.vintagepaint.com/index.asp

They should be able to match the colour but as I'm still at the prepping stage, I haven't tried it yet. Go ahead....Be my Guinea Pig ! ;-)

My bike was field camouflaged with the LG No. 5 so that is what the BEF were using at least to some extent in the dark and dreary winter of 1939/40 in northern France but I don't know how long it was used afterwards.