Odd land rover transfer box

eddybear1955

HI,

I RECENTLY ACQUIRED A 1970 LIGHTWEIGHT WHICH HAS AN ODD TRANSFER BOX FITTED THERE IS NO FOUR WHEEL DRIVE CONTROL LEVER ONLY A TRANSFER LEVER WHICH SWIVELS FROM LEFT TO RIGHT AND PIVOTS FORE AND AFT,THE BOTTOM OF THE LEVER ENGAGES INTO TWO METAL BLOCKS ATTACHED TO RODS WITH RECESSES MACHINED INTO THEM IN THE FRONT OUTPUT HOUSING ABOVE THE OUTPUT SHAFT AREA,VIEWED FROM THE DRIVERS SEAT THE LEVER CAN BE MOVED IN AN UPSIDE DOWN LOWER CASE h PATTERN FROM THE CENTRAL POSITION LEFT AND FORWARD PRODUCES A HIGH RANGE AND AS THE FRONT PROP CAN BE ROTATED WITH THE TRANSMISSION BRAKE APPLIED MUST BE 2WD,GOING BACK TO THE CENTRAL POSITION THEN RIGHT AND FORWARD IS LOW RATIO 4WD,CENTRAL RIGHT AND BACK IS 4WD HIGH,

DSCN0183.JPG

I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SERIES BOX LIKE THIS BEFORE HAS ANYONE SEEN OR USED ONE LIKE IT ANY INFORMATION ON ITS ORIGIN WOULD BE MOST WELCOME,

THANKS

EDDY

Land Rover 023.JPG

Land Rover 024.JPG

Land Rover 014.JPG

Land Rover 009.JPG

Land Rover 010.JPG

DSCN0189.JPG

DSCN0188.JPG

DSCN0187.JPG

DSCN0186.JPG

DSCN0185.JPG

Edited by eddybear1955

It is a "none genuine LR" conversion for full shifting on the fly , ISTR there were two or three versions marketed, but one was much more popular. Need a bit think for makers name etc. that your probably is - may be able to find some info with a search in old files .

that "I think" is mounted on the pto slot. If you take that black plate off with four nuts, you should see the lever should move a doughnut gear back and forth to engage and disengage

Most likely is an overdrive but looks bigger than the one I had.

The 4x4 is on a pin which is just before the front prop shaft

It is a "none genuine LR" conversion for full shifting on the fly , ISTR there were two or three versions marketed, but one was much more popular. Need a bit think for makers name etc. that your probably is - may be able to find some info with a search in old files .

so would the front housing be the same with the original pin setup or is the whole box different?

If it is what I think it is - it was just a simple conversion to the Hi/Lo & 4x4 change - so simple many claimed - Land Rover should have invented , or accepted somebody else had & incorporated it as a standard feature on Series thereon.

From what I remember (I had forgotten about it until this thread) , it was mainly fitted by heavy towers such as farmers with beast trailers. Made it easier to start in Low box and shift into High range , something that could be done in any case with practice but more difficult if you lost your revs due to the time taken. There was no need to stop the vehicle to move from High Transfer to Low.

I think the members of such as the AWDC used them but not the Association of Rover Clubs because it did not meet the Rule Book.

I think they were probably made & sold from a garden shed where they were invented LoL

As stated above, it is an aftermarket conversion to the high/low/4wd selector to make it more like the type fitted to vehicles such as the Suzuki SJ410. The main aim was in fact to allow 4WD to be disengaged in high range on the move, something which cannot be done with the standard LR configuration. It is not a Land-Rover produced conversion, it could even be home made.

The box in the photos is also fitted with a Fairy overdrive unit in the top PTO position.

ok looking at the pictures again, it seems most or what should be there is still there, they have just made up weird handles.

I am guessing if you get the correct controls and refit, including for the overdrive.

A good trick I heard for the overdrive is to engage it in neutral and remove the handle as a theft deterrent. The overdrive handle gets mounted on the side of the tunnel. I have a fairy overdrive manual, well and a LW manual if you need one.

What is much better is a Legs overdrive transfer case but I think legs is not open anymore

It would be interesting to view a few more photographs , esp. around the transmission tunnel. I think I would have to go through the atic stock of LRO from abt. 1980 - there seemed a unofficial competition as to who could invent the best universal shifter mechanism. ISTR most were very simple in design and claimed very effective , well I suppose with a bit of practice by the inventor lol