Going for my Private Pilots Licence & one for Ian L

Jack

Good to catch up with you at Overlord Ian and as discussed - here is the start of getting my pilots licence. I met the instructor today to see what is what and sounds very challenging but a lot of fun too!

Took this at Compton Abbas whilst waiting for the instructor to arrive :)

971504_603983016278889_602357054_n.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack. I really don't think this is a good idea. At least when the GMC ran out of fuel it would coast to a stop. Aeroplanes really don't work like that.

Tim

Well I have thought of that Tim but it never happens when I am on xBox :coffee:

I was going to say remember to take off against the wind Jack...but there's no need as you never take the easy option..:-D

Thanks Bernard! And you are right - I tend to have a habit of taken the path of the most resistance :sweat:

ive been up a few times and thought of doing this . go for it jack and i will be your co pilot flying over the beaches of normandy holding the biscuit tin for you while your at the controls ! :readbook:

It is something I have wanted to do since I can remember and now life has settled down for me after three horrid years, I thought it was time I did something for myself.

With regards to the beaches of Normandy, what inspired me even further was Jess and I and Jim Clark and friends done exactly that some years ago. 800' in a C-47 was pretty amazing and I have always wanted to fly the same flight paths our chaps flew in war. Apparently there are rules that you can't just fly anywhere.....spoil sports!

Hi Jack well done mate & good luck getting your licence, would of loved to be up there today but realy behind getting the vehicles ready for W&P.

P.S. what did you fly in ? the Stearman ? :wow:

Edited by Ian L

Hi Jack well done mate & good luck getting your licence, would of loved to be up there today but realy behind getting the vehicles ready for W&P.

Thanks Ian and for the advice too. And the next time you are flying down this way - drop in to Compton and I will buy you a coffee....can't believe I just offered to buy a coffee

My sympathies are with the potential instructor:sweat:

He was quite impressed when I said - A barrel roll is an aerial maneuver in which an aeroplane makes a complete rotation on its longitudinal axis while following a helical path, approximately maintaining its original direction :coffee:

He was quite impressed when I said - A barrel roll is an aerial maneuver in which an aeroplane makes a complete rotation on its longitudinal axis while following a helical path, approximately maintaining its original direction :coffee:

Don't think he'd be very impressed with the likely result if you tried it....... a lot of pilots have ended up flying below ground level;)

Seen that done in a Glider at about 50 feet! Now that was ***impressive!

Not really, my visit would be from above!

That's what I'd be afraid of! You're supposed to have the same number of succesful landings as you have take offs! Though the old joke about any landing you can walk away from is a good one comes to mind. And if the aircraft is uasable afterwards that's a bonus. :D

That's what I'd be afraid of! You're supposed to have the same number of succesful landings as you have take offs! Though the old joke about any landing you can walk away from is a good one comes to mind. And if the aircraft is uasable afterwards that's a bonus. :D

So far, all of mine have been...... I have been a passenger for more takeoffs than landings however!