Saracen armaments and blue lights

trophy160

I have two questions:

Can anyone tell me how to determine whether my turret is intended to take a .30 Browning or GPMG, its service record would suggest it takes the latter. I have attached a few pictures showing the mount and before you ask it currently sports a .303 water pipe!

The second question relates to a pair of blue lights it has on the front, I presume these were NI related. One of them is broken and it would be nice to get a replacement, any thought about where I might get one from?

DSCN0426.JPG

DSCN0420.jpg

DSCN0421.jpg

DSCN0422.JPG

The second question relates to a pair of blue lights it has on the front, I presume these were NI related. One of them is broken and it would be nice to get a replacement, any thought about where I might get one from?

Hi Nic,

I see those lamps are made by Notek, and are basically the same as the Notek Blue Spot lamps often fitted to cars, etc. If it is the casing that is broken, then you can find these lamps on Ebay at a reasonable price, just swap the glass over.

Richard

Hi Richard, I'm afraid it's the glass and there is a big chunk missing in front of the bulb. I'll try a post in the wanted section.

By the way, has anyone seen/got one one the Military Muckabouts replica GPMG, I've seen comments to the effect that they are not well finished. People seen to say that the one made by XFire is better quality but when I follow a link to their site it's a dead link. Again, anyone know if they are still trading?

Hi Richard, I'm afraid it's the glass and there is a big chunk missing in front of the bulb. I'll try a post in the wanted section.

By the way, has anyone seen/got one one the Military Muckabouts replica GPMG, I've seen comments to the effect that they are not well finished. People seen to say that the one made by XFire is better quality but when I follow a link to their site it's a dead link. Again, anyone know if they are still trading?

The MM gimpy is a bit rough but basically ok from a distance, I have mine on top of my spartan with an ammo belt and it looks fine until you're close up. It is also cheap and was delivered very quickly and efficiently.. Pays yer money and takes yer choice...!

A source for your blue light...! Im in the Morris Minor Owners Club and they have a seperate Police Vehicle section. They can source Police related items for owners cars, Lights, signs, switches etc. Try them!

Think there is a seperate Police Car Register for ex `Jam Butty` cars as we called them as kids!

The MM gimpy is a bit rough but basically ok from a distance, I have mine on top of my spartan with an ammo belt and it looks fine until you're close up. It is also cheap and was delivered very quickly and efficiently.. Pays yer money and takes yer choice...!

I can't find anyone else advertising gimpys irrespective of cost. Given the only bit that can be seen will be the barrel, are you saying that that it also poor on the MM, is anything that can be done to improve it?

I have no idea why the blue lights, I just assumed it was something to do with it having been in Northern Ireland, but perhaps someone just put them on! If blue lights weren't a fixture of NI Saracen, then I'll dump them.

I can't find anyone else advertising gimpys irrespective of cost. Given the only bit that can be seen will be the barrel, are you saying that that it also poor on the MM, is anything that can be done to improve it?

The barrel is fine. If that is the only bit that can be seen, I would go for it. It beats paying thousands for a deac (if you can find one!)..

Hi,in reference to blue lights being used on Saracens in Northern Ireland.They were used on 321 EOD Coy bomb disposal saracens and Saracen ambulances.However they were beacon style flahing lights which were fitted to the top of the vehicles and had like a metal cage around them to protect them from misiles which might be thrown at them.The lights you have were definately not used on Saracens or Pigs but were used on all other vehicles.If you were interested in putting a blue light on I could post some pictures for accuracy.Regardes,Jasper.

The rifle calibre Brownings used on any of the British Army armoured vehicles were the standard .30 cal 1919A4s. The .303 Browning was never fitted, they were however converted to ground roles in some African countries, South Africa being a major user.

303and30_zps12ceb0ea.jpg

If you want a replica theres one here

http://www.dandbmilitaria.com/l37a1-gpmg-SN.-REP.html

If you were really set on a deac, make sure its a real L7 if its being sold as one because there are loads of Ex indian MAGs and FN MAGs with fake L7 markings. One sold on a dealer site (Not the one linked above) last week and who ever purchased it has been right royaly ripped off!

Hi,in reference to blue lights being used on Saracens in Northern Ireland.They were used on 321 EOD Coy bomb disposal saracens and Saracen ambulances.However they were beacon style flahing lights which were fitted to the top of the vehicles and had like a metal cage around them to protect them from misiles which might be thrown at them.The lights you have were definately not used on Saracens or Pigs but were used on all other vehicles.If you were interested in putting a blue light on I could post some pictures for accuracy.Regardes,Jasper.

Thanks for the clarification Jasper, it looks like my dodgy blue lights are destined for the bin then

With regard what gun to fit I am down to two options

1. A replica GPMG from XFire that will fit the mount I have in turret

2. I have an offer (good price) for a .30 Browning BUT I would need to get hold of an appropriate mount and once again I have no idea of cost and availability for these