SA80 stowage bracket in a Ferret

Catch 22 LBDR

While looking at the FV700 web site I came across two pics of SA80 mounts for a ferret. Rather than ask Andy about it I thought It might make an interesting thread. I did a search on hear but found nothing about it.

Does anyone know where and when they were fitted into ferrets and can they still be got??

sa80_barrel_clamp_small.jpg

sa80_butt_small.jpg

While looking at the FV700 web site I came across two pics of SA80 mounts for a ferret. Rather than ask Andy about it I thought It might make an interesting thread. I did a search on hear but found nothing about it.

Does anyone know where and when they were fitted into ferrets and can they still be got??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77016[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77017[/ATTACH]

I am sure that I have two pairs of these somewhere

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77016[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]77017[/ATTACH]

Long time ago. Istr there was an LMG stowage position along one of the drive shaft covers (LHS? ) even though every Ferret I crewed was fitted with a Three-oh. Maybe SA80 mounts could be fitted to the drive shaft covers?

We always carried SMGs. To be honest I have only the vaguest memories of ever seeing the SMG mounts, but I suspect they were on the vehicle wall somewhere: we preferred just to bung them somewhere handy so we could grab them quickly on the way out.

In NI I crewed a Ferret on a couple of occasions when I had SLR as a personal weapon. There was no sweat: again just park it where it was safe and convenient.

I have seen a picture with these brackets in a ferret (I will have to dig around for it)

In the photo, the SA80s are stored vertically on the right wall behind the driver. (Just front the right escape hatch).

I think the one with the clips in situ is from a restored ferret.

Ferret clips for SA80 1.JPG

Ferret clips for SA80 2.JPG

Edited by Toner
Adding photos