24v FFR Landrover - indicators non-op!! Help!!!!

ArtistsRifles

When I picked the landie up the other week Richard said she needed a new indicator relay to get the indicators up and runnig. Fitted a new relay today - but still no indicators :(

Looking at the wiring - there was a black wire coming out of the flasher relay plug that had a ring terminal on it, looked like it was an earth lead - so I connected it to one of the two earth points either side of the relay. Still no joy.

I found two black and white wires with insulated spade terminals that come out of the main loom and are hanging free, also another black wire with an ring (earth?) terminal and have no idea what tney are for....

All other normal lighting works although the O/S headlamp is dim on dip beam) - convoy and I/R lights aren't switched on yet neither the indicators nor hazards work.

Any one got any ideas as to where to look - or start looking even????? I need to get this one running for the plains event I think........

Neil I am always suspicious of the earth on these side & esp rear lights where it can corrode with mud & disimilar metals. I would (via fuse) take a direct lead from 24V + to the feed lead of the indicator bulb, if it lights up at least you know the earth, the bulb & it connections are OK. Then you have to figure the flasher connections when I get a chance I'll look up in the book etc, but got things going on to take my time at present.

Thanks Clive!!! Will give that a try tomorrow.

Right now I've no idea where the power comes from for the indicator system even, let alnoe fault finding it. Is there an in-line fuse anywhere??? Given the way wiring in that area after it leaves the loom has got a bit charred/melted by the multi-block connector to the 6-way switch something somewhere has gone blooey somewhere in the past . And if memory serves - selecting "convoy" turns off the indicators???

Remembered last night that Stuart (SaracenStump) gave me a wiring diagram for a 24v vehicle - so I scanned it in and highlighted what I think is the indicator circuit with appropriate colours:

width=640 height=617http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/24vwiringdiagram.jpg[/img]

This is the wiring behind the 6-way panel showing the (apparently) redundant wiring:

width=640 height=480http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/31_July_06_001.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/31_July_06_002.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=480http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d146/ArtistsRifles/109%20FFR%20Landrover/31_July_06_003.jpg[/img]

SUCCESS!!!!!!

After a couple of hours in the cold and rain with a miulti-meter everything seemed OK - but still no indicators. Some one on another forum reckoned they'd had similar problems and it had been the 6-way switch. so - turned the switch all the way clockwise then counted two clicks back and tried again - and we have indicators!!

I'd tried turning it to the first position and back - and all the way to headlamps and back without joy but going all the way clockwise seems to have sorted it.

Just leaves:

• Choke Cable
    • Wipers (no wipers but pressing switch works the screenwash pump)
    • Heater fan and controls
    • Poor earth on drivers side lights front and rear

to sort out!!

Incidentally - fuses - in the 4 slots I have one 5A and the other three are 35A - which seems a bit excessive for in-line fuses , are these correct values???

Thanks Clive - would that be all four fuses @ 35A?? Seemed odd that 3 are 35A and one is 5A!!!

The tone of the UH is that 35A rating applies to all four. Although one of them will not effect the running of the vehicle as it is just an auxillary feed to the NATO socket. The others are wiper motor, brake waring light & switches and the other is sidelights & brake lights.