Drain Plug Socket

Vulture

Gentlemen

I've decided to delay changing the windscreen rubber on my CCKW 352 and do a service instead. I was making good progress this morning greasing up and checking axles levels until I came to the part where I needed to check the fluid level in the steering box...

2013-04-22___10.50.26.jpg

My problem is the filler plug. It's currently in a good condition and I'd like to keep it that way, and so have avoided the temptation to have a go at it with the wrong tool. I can get a 9/16th open ended spanner on it, but cannot apply enough leverage.

Does anyone know:

a) The actual size of the plug ?

b) Who sells a reasonably priced square female drain plug socket (in the UK) ?

What do other people use ?

Thanks for your help

Kind regards to all

Vulture

I looked at mine and the fill plug is not square, but has a rectangular shape to it.. so mine may not be original, just what someone had laying around that fit the hole.

You should be able to buy one of these tools:

'Stubby' adjustable wrench... 4-6 inches log (I have one from when I owned my M35A2... no way to take off the brake master cylinder fill plug without it.

An angle head open end wrench (60deg).

A crows foot attachment on the end of an extension to a ratchet

One of those things should work.

If you use a crows foot then best to get the quality ones that have the slight edge return so as not to round off the corners.

I believe Sealey tools do a good type stamped 'Premier'. Hope that helps. :D

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=5502&productdescription=spanner&productcode=&category=7&catgroup=322&catmicrogroup=1422&analysiscode=&requiredresults=16

• 2 weeks later...

Added an 18mm socket to my tool collection during the week. It fits, not that well as it too large, but it gripped sufficiently that with a breaker bar I got the plug out without damaging it :dancinggirls:. Good thing I checked as it needs well topping up...

Check for leakage down from the main shaft seal. If oil leakage gets to be a problem, and the steering is otherwise in good order, it seems to be standard practice to pump them half full of grease and then add oil to the fill level.

Check for leakage down from the main shaft seal. If oil leakage gets to be a problem, and the steering is otherwise in good order, it seems to be standard practice to pump them half full of grease and then add oil to the fill level.

Hi Gordon

Thanks for your thoughts, I'll have a check :)

Cheers

Vulture

8 point sockets will work (I forget that they even made them).

The were very common years ago.. but most tool kits/sets will only have 6 or 12 point sockets... neither have the correct geometry to grep a square head really well.

If you look at an 8 point socket, its two squares 90degres apart... I have a full set from my craftsman kit I bought in the mid 80's and could never figure out what they were for... they never worked on 6 sided bolts.

The steering fill plug is 1/2in pipe thread, so the head should be 1/2in also.

There are more and larger plugs on the axles, transmission and transfer case, but most of those should be reachable with a an spanner. 3/4ths in seems to be the largest plug, other than what is used on the brake master cylinder and deep sump oil drain plug.