History of QL tanker wanted:

James Shopland

I was just wondering if anyone knows the history of this very distinctive QL tanker. The was a little plaque inside which tells us it was used in the film Battle of Britain. I am wondering if this would have caused a few issues of continuity as the QL was not in mass production at this stage. Anyway, your comment would be most welcome....

QL Tanker.jpg

I was just wondering if anyone knows the history of this very distinctive QL tanker. The was a little plaque inside which tells us it was used in the film Battle of Britain. I am wondering if this would have caused a few issues of continuity as the QL was not in mass production at this stage. Anyway, your comment would be most welcome....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75445[/ATTACH]

QL bowsers did apear in the film BoB come to that most of the vehicles used in the film were not in service until well after the BoB and some such as the Matador artillery tractors never served with the RAF.. There is overwhelming photo evidence that few if any vehicles were still in blue grey by the BoB If you think the Film BoB is bad try looking at 633 sqn !!

TED

QL bowsers did apear in the film BoB come to that most of the vehicles used in the film were not in service until well after the BoB and some such as the Matador artillery tractors never served with the RAF.

But Matador load carriers and platform lorries both served, and 51MT in the desert had a "Matador recovery vehicle".

There certainly were QLs in the BoB Film, and i seem to recall a fuel bowser of some description blew up when a spitfire ran into it. Only the spitfire clearly stopped well short and exploded just before the fuel bowser did- the special effects department were just as dodgy as the props department!

EDIT: not yours, but at about 6:27 on this clip is a QL bowser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urx6HuoSPFU

and from about 8:00 when the squadron is scrambling there are number of vehicles on screen and i'm sure another QL bowser is in there.

Edited by RAFMT

I recollect that QL tanker when it came up for sale a few years ago, the photo on this thread was one of several and I recall the other side of the lorry was painted differently, maybe so that on the film it could appear as another vehicle. Might be wrong, but this comes to mind.

James, do you now own it?

I recollect that QL tanker when it came up for sale a few years ago, the photo on this thread was one of several and I recall the other side of the lorry was painted differently, maybe so that on the film it could appear as another vehicle. Might be wrong, but this comes to mind.

James, do you now own it?

Yes :laugh:

the camo seems to be in reverse, the mickey mouse ears are in green rather than black

It was possible (certainly with the RAF and I would assume the Army too) to have the base colour as Khaki Green, No 3 as usual but to have the disruptive pattern painted in Light Green, No 5. I assumed this was the look they were going for here?

Ted - unfortunately, I have yet to uncover a photograph of the recovery Matador. I've only come across a reference to it in a history of 51 MT, but it's been something I've been keeping a special eye out for.

It was possible (certainly with the RAF and I would assume the Army too) to have the base colour as Khaki Green, No 3 as usual but to have the disruptive pattern painted in Light Green, No 5. I assumed this was the look they were going for here?

Ted - unfortunately, I have yet to uncover a photograph of the recovery Matador. I've only come across a reference to it in a history of 51 MT, but it's been something I've been keeping a special eye out for.

Well that would explain it

Have to admit I kind of like it......think we will be keeping it :cheesy:

I would suggest the colour and pattern are from the era before we had the knowledge base we now have?

re the Matador with 51 MT I will revisit the items in my cuttings box might get lucky On the recovery subject I found mention in a magazine article that 317 Suppy & Trans Column had an Austin breakdown Gantry, the article was centred on one of the fitters and he notes as tail end charlie when the unit moved out of Hamburg he had trouble keeping up with the main body

TED