Prc 349

About five years ago I attended a Light Dragoons (13th/18th Hussars and 15th/19th Hussars) Regimental Association weekend. I was told that they were only in the throes of converting their Scimitars from Clansman to Bowman in preparation for their the-upcoming Op Herrick tour (they have done another since then). So to hear that second line might still be using Clansman is no surprise.

As to frequencies, the Military VHF band is a given, negotiated by nations (istr that Radio 1 moved from 247 metres to two different frequencies in the 1990s because it clashed with a foreign station). Further, if NATO troops are all going to be able to communicate, they need to be capable of operating the same bands.

Something like that.

clansman is still being used by the TA in N Ireland, I went to a family day last year with my Series II and had more operational radios on display than all the regments there and they had yet to get their Bowman gear!!!

:cry:

j

What forum was that? We still have it on the shelves but it will go sometime in future once we get disposal orders, the vehicle mounted 353/321s etc are boxed but our manpacks (350/351/2 and 321s) are still being used

Gary

I don't know if you can read this without being a member, but it appears since the first post someone has confirmed that Support Command is in the process of approving further use especialy with Cadets and OTC's.

http://armycadetforce.com/showthread.php?287-Will-Signals-training-end

Clearly the original proposal under discussion untill someone identified the need was to withdraw the safety case and therefore use from the end of March.

Thanks, had a good read through and interesting was the post "The TA will not be getting Bowman, and although the plan was for Clansman to be withdrawn on April 1st (presumably hence the date originally mentioned), this is no longer so. In fact, our safety case is seen as so good that the TA want to use it to back up their continued use of Clansman for the foreseeable future too."

Just last night we got the order to backload everything clansman related so this weekend will be clearing shelves and boxing up. We also took delivery of some vehicle and man pack bowman platforms in both HF and VHF, so wipes out the statement above lol