For those who know about paint

Grumpy

Not sure if this is in the right section :dunno:

We have an 18 ton Volvo FL10 bearver tail truck that we use to cart various MV's around with.

Currently its a dirty blue colour and looks a bit rough

width=640 height=480http://scott.morris8.users.btopenworld.com/Pics/HMVF/Volvo/DSC00347.jpg[/img]

We are thinking of getting it shot blasted, primed and then a good coat of NATO, currently all the underside, running gear and engine is just coated with the same chassis paint, will NATO be head resistant enough for things like the engine, gearbox, axles etc?

I don't think primer & then a coat of IRR NATO Green will offer very good long term protection. I try to follow the 1948 spec for AFVs which is primer, the Dark Admiralty Grey undercoat & two layers of high gloss Deep Bronze Green, then NATO IRR Green if desired.

I assume you mean NATO IRR Green this is nothing like the protection of proper gloss paints, however there is a NATO Green high gloss used for non-tactical vehicles but it has no IRR properties.

As for heat resistance British Army postwar engines in general have used Sky Blue heat resisting gloss. But I had a pig from N.Ireland service that had the whole engine etc painted in IRR NATO Green & showed no sign of failing due to heat.

BTW Looks cute, at first looked as if it was a baby Stalwart!

I got some IRR paint given and used it,oops not great :?. However I did manage to overpaint it with Nato green eggshell from RR trading as Warpaint. Its oilbased and takes some time to harden properly but is good and tough when finally dry. I used the Jack method and put it on with a roller. ;-)

Thanks for the responce guys, with the Volvo like any flat bed truck the engine is quite visable from the rear, I think we'll just NATO the lot and see what happens (along with some good primer).

As for heat resistance British Army postwar engines in general have used Sky Blue heat resisting gloss.

I was under the impression that the Sky Blue was only used on any Army reconditioned engines, with new one's from RR or LR etc. being the usual factory black. :dunno:

The B81 thats in our MK II Stolly was a new engine straight out of the crate from RR, it even had the factory Dyno sheet with it and thats just finished in the gloss black paint.

Now that is interesting!! Doesn't a Stalwart look odd with the centre wheels missing!! :evil: :evil:

Out of curiosity - what sort of price would you be looking at for taking my Stalwart down to Salisbury for the plains weekend currently being planned

Neil unfortunately you are the wrong end of the country from us so I would suspect it would work out quite expensive, we generally only get about 12 to 15 mpg with a Stolly on the back. If you were traveling up to the Midlands I'm sure we could sort something out. I dread to add up the amount of fuel has gone though the Stolly whilst in my ownership, its the main reason we got the Volvo and to be honest with doing a few jobs here and there for other MV owners it tends to nearly pay for itsself.

Only just read about the Salisbury meet, sounds very tempting, if the Stolly's finished I think we may show our faces, if its not we could always take a slow ride down in the Militant :-D

Neil unfortunately you are the wrong end of the country from us so I would suspect it would work out quite expensive, we generally only get about 12 to 15 mpg with a Stolly on the back. If you were traveling up to the Midlands I'm sure we could sort something out. I dread to add up the amount of fuel has gone though the Stolly whilst in my ownership, its the main reason we got the Volvo and to be honest with doing a few jobs here and there for other MV owners it tends to nearly pay for itsself.

Only just read about the Salisbury meet, sounds very tempting, if the Stolly's finished I think we may show our faces, if its not we could always take a slow ride down in the Militant :-D

Ah well - never mind - it was worth the asking :-) Fuel price in the Stalwart is bad enough, I'm a bit more concerned about the dreaded wind-up on such a trip though.

AutoRoute says it's about 114 miles from Dagenham/East Tibury in Essex to Ledgershall and the estimated fuel bill is £160 - each way assuming the average Stalwart 2.5 mpg figure!! And just over 4 hours drive time - although the route does take you through the centre of London and I bet Red Ken won't like a B81 thundering though his mosques!!

• 1 month later...