Paint

exlandieman

Hi Jan,

Thanks for that....at the moment the bike is in olive drab, but when I strip and rebuild it over the next winter I will repaint in correct colour. My main question is , colour aside, where do people recommend I get paint from? Not just olive drab which I need to touch up with but also the correct colour.

Chris, you've seen the variations of colours in my shed and the amount of spraying that I've done over the years. I have used a lot of Cromadex synthetic paint and from other local firms, and by mixing Olive and brown have achieved various shades of Khaki Green. But by far my most favourite paint to use is Firwood. Which I normally buy from 'Jeep Parts Uk' But for some reason they don't sell Service Brown any more. (Not enough request for it). So maybe approach Firwood direct. I know Mike Starmer did a lot of research into Khaki Gas Proof No3 and maybe Rik can give some indication about that and who's paint he had success with. A lot of complaints that I hear are regarding an over shiny finish, which can happen with over coating some mat paint. I've had this problem with Cromadex but not Firwood........Just my 2pence worth. Ron

I'd fully agree with Ron's comments, and Rik's......the stuff from Firwood and Cromadex, via Jeeparts is probably the best in the UK, though they told me the Cromadex is for spraying AND brushing which is useful for small parts and touching-up (ooh err Missus !) whereas the Firwood variety is spray-only..........

All wartime stuff was in a dead-flat matt finish and some don't like this as it does stain and mark and can wear/fade......but on the other hand, you end up with an arguably more realistic and original finish than gloss or "eggshell" with the bike "ageing" naturally.......

SCC brown began to appear around 1941 and was becoming common by 42 and almost universal a year later before olive drab replaced it from April 44 onwards.......but instructions were issued for old stocks of khaki green to be used up first, so some companies clearly still had stock to use up during 42 and possibly early 43 too........NOS parts are a good source to match original colours, especially if still wrapped, although KG does deteriorate over time due to the chromate used affecting the colour shade.......

I just went to jeep parts uk website and under paints it says that there is nothing listed? Am i going to right place...the one i went to is in Atcham Nr Shrewsbury ..... btw thats `shrew` as in the `taming of the shrew` ! not shrow. ( just thought i'd throw that in for controversy lol )

Paint ....I use a Motor Factors in Bishop auckland who will both colourmatch the paint and also put it in Spray Tins ...Whilst i fully appreciate they are too far away i would anticipate that you will have Motor Factors /Spares dealers with the sae capability in the Dorset area ...Works out about £8 tin ,,,Matched and ready to spray

Jenkinov