Can you Identify this Air Ministry WW2 RAF Cart

Ian L

Below is the Section from Air Publication 1086 dated 1949. The column on the right is the relevant AP, unfortunately I have none of those. I do have AP 2173B Vol I that covers "water-cooled gasoline engines for ground equipment", so it may well have a description of just the engines themselves that were used in your trolley.

App3445_zps67cc9ea1.jpg

Ian it looks the sort of thing that would have limped through WW2 & as it continued in service certainly to 1949 is in that particular Vocabulary. I don't have any earlier ones.

I did flick through "RAF Ground Support Equipment since 1918" but couldn't see anything there, although it is jolly good for the fascinating peripherals warfare in the air. (In fact I find that sort of stuff far more interesting than aeroplanes).

Here we go lads, it was used to provide electrical power to certain systems in the aircraft for ground servicing /testing etc. The one in the attached was for the radar on such types as the Mossie.

Clive glad you are interested in Ground equip most people in the RAF don't give it a second look, some ground equipment now costs many tens of thousands per item but historically it is just used & abused by the guys on aircraft maintenance. When I was a shop floor monkey Ground Support Equipment was my bread & butter trade. In the book you mention there are shots of 16 MU Stafford, I was a young airman there in what was know as Section 4 ( section 4 in the RAF vocab) Workshops although we did all GSE irrespective of vocab. half our shed was 4th line on MT in the days when we had an airforce. I enjoyed the work in that shed ripping stuff to the last nut and bolt. Along with the learning at 4 S of TT it gave me the foundation for a long and happy career.

TEd

Bob_McDowell_radar_inspection_winkleigh_000.gif

Edited by ted angus

Hello Ian, as I am also very match in to Triumph bikes and I know that Triumph made a generator set for the RAF in ww2.

These generators had a square cylinder and cylinder head in aluminium and these bits (head and cylinder) where used on the post-war Triumph grand prix and trophy models.

Will have a look as I have a picture of a trolley with such a generator.

Here you have a picture of my triumph grand prix engine with square head and cylinder and a Triumph the ww2 generator.

generator.jpg

IMG_0542.JPG

Ian, I found the picture and it is the same small trailer, only the front towing set up is different. It has a push bar on the front as on one of the previous pictures.

For the moment my scan is out al order but will tray to post you this picture.

Guy

This might be of interest to the WW2 hand cart enthusiast. An Australian made version of the Enfield generator engine from K.L. Engines & Tractors in Melbourne. Described as a 2.75 Kva alternator set for radar power supply.

I was given this unit years ago and is in fairly poor condition, having sat outside for years. Even the orig wheels seem to have been replaced. Maybe hard to get tyres. I have no other info or photos as yet.

regards

Andrew B

File0162.jpg

File0163.jpg

File0162a.jpg

I was on holiday last week so didn't have any access to books.

According to the September 1944 edition of A.P.1086 42Y/2 was"500w A.C. portable test set, J.A.P. 4B engine"

Do you by any chance have section 33A for that period please, I have tried Hendon and their reply was no !

TED

This might be of interest to the WW2 hand cart enthusiast. An Australian made version of the Enfield generator engine from K.L. Engines & Tractors in Melbourne. Described as a 2.75 Kva alternator set for radar power supply.

I was given this unit years ago and is in fairly poor condition, having sat outside for years. Even the orig wheels seem to have been replaced. Maybe hard to get tyres. I have no other info or photos as yet.

regards

Andrew B

I have the manual for the British production version of this set. There is normally a full metal cover unless the Australian production version lacked this. Your version presumably also has locally produced electrical components as the UK version has an exciter mounted over the Alternator. Presumably that is yours mounted on the end of the Alternator.