Barnbow factory and Leeds vehicles

LeedsJohn87

Hi all, am trying to organise a bit of an event entitled Leeds Festival of Transport and I am keen to track down some products of the Barnbow tank factory. I think a Challenger might be a bit out of my range (no pun intended!) but I believe they made a Fox Armoured Recon car from the mid-70s onwards. There were around 200 made and they only came out of service in the arly 90s....does anyone know of an operational one or where I might find some more information about this fascinating facility?

Thanks

John

I am sure I saw a Combat Engineer Tractor on test at Barnbow, so you could try for one of those too.

John.

I have an operational CET, I know that they were designed at ROF Nottingham but was not aware they were built in Barnbow ?

The CET I saw at Barnbow was running round the test track. It therefore seems likely that the vehicle was built there, but I can't say for certain.

Incidentally, I live about 5 miles away from Barnbow as the crow flies. When the wind was in the right direction though, and I was out in the garden, I could hear the distinctive noise of large AFVs running round the test track.

John.

The info I have found says that the prototypes were built at Leeds but production vehicles at Nottingham. This is the internet though so it could be all lies..!

Someone told me the hulls were all built at ALVIS as they had all the alluminium welding skills / capabilities.