Pyrene CO2 Bottles - refilling?

timbo

Ok so I have these 2 pyrene bottles which ive been refurbishing to go into my Saladin, and in the process of refitting the piercing head i, ahem, managed to pierce the brass disc, with the result that the bottle went off! Well at least i know it was full! Looking at the second bottle the disc looks to have a bulge in it, which is maybe what caused it to go off, as the piercing head was definitely fully retracted and the safety bolt in place.

So does anybody know if the bottle can be recharged and the brass disc replaced? I am intending to try some fire extinguisher places on Monday but just wondered if anybody on here knows?

Cheers

Timbo

Hi Tim

The Icelanders in the engineering unit behind my shed used to have a buisiness re-filling discharged extinguishers. Apparently it is quite a simple process if you get the thickness of the discs correct. (and don't have a heath and safety guy breathing down your neck).

You should seriously re-think the strategy of restoring the correct 'on board' fire extinguishers as they can be extremely hazardous. The two external operating handles are irresisable to inquisitive spectators (young and not so young) at shows. The subsequent discharge of a large amount of CO2 into the hull can be disastrous to any inhabitants who do not manage to escape before being overcome by axphixiation. A further hazard can be met by unwary crew who enter the hull after not noticing such discharge. The low level of oxygen (caused by high level of CO2) is not naturally detectable and can quickly lead to death by suffocation!

A modern, fixed fire-fighting system would be preferable. Better still, a pair of good, easily accessible portable extinguishers would do the trick.....failing that, just let it burn and be alive to claim the insurance.

There are many stories around of CVRT and Chieftain owners who have had their fixed fire fighting systems activated by mischievous (or just inquisitive) members of the paying public. There is also one horrific story of a well known military vehicle dealer starting up a long disused Saracen and only just managing to escape through the rear door before flames engulfed the whole vehicle.

I realise that collectors no longer have the added danger of large amounts of HE, propellant and small arms ammunition to worry about in case of fire, nevertheless, the substantial amount of petrol (gasolene), hydraulic fluid and engine/transmission oil still represents a serious fire hazard...not to mention the explosive potential of 3 x 500 psi hydraulic accumulators...all in an enclosed, difficult to get out of, confined space!

Jon

Many thanks for all the advice. I had already decided against reconnecting the remote cables but was going to install these as trigger operated back ups, as well as having a ready supply of modern portable extinguishers. I will have a think but may just intstall empty cylinders for cosmetic purposes, the brass piercing heads look quite attractive when cleaned up and lacquered.

Cheers

Tim