Privates. BBC afternoon drama. What a hash.

Lord Burley

I don't know if this is in the right section.maybe the mods can move it in due course. But has anyone caught the drama series Privates on BBC 1 in the afternoon??. All I can say what a contrived inaccurate load of tosh. Set in 1955 during national service it saw a series 2 Landrover amongst the vehicles. But this in accuracy can be over looked because whilst out on the parade ground mixed amongst the Bedford RL,s and Humber Pigs were a fleet of Defender Pulse ambulances. Wolf xD,s and the new MAN truck. I kid you not. Anyone wanting to witness this historical carnage then turn on tomorrow afternoon at 1.40pm

Actually its set in 1960 in the last weeks of National Service so the SII is ok, though it was wearing a 1964 mil reg, i know cos its mine!!

IMG_3761.jpg

The Series was filmed in Ballykinler Camp Co Down and is supposed to be a typical MOD base in Yorkshire called Bleakly Marsh. The Nissan huts are origional internment huts from the Curragh camp near Dublin brought north in the 1920's and one was restored for the series. Unfortunately as an active service base the MOD kept putting vehicles in shot (which were supposed to be out of focus), there are a few other inaccuracies including the Irish railways train in one shot but the average peson they wouldn't recognise a Pini or MAN in the background. Not really my cup of tea but most civi's i've spoken too say its quite good. And MY series is in practically every other shot!

;)

j

Edited by johnhughes

I saw it too!

I agree with regards to the military vehicles on display - however it was set at the near end of National Service, 1960 they say.

But yea I was being a sad anorak and noting the MODERN MAN trucks, Land Rover Wolves, Ambulances, Pinzguar....however there was a Humber Pig in there a Bedford RL, a couple of older Landies too. Think that was the main ones.

A bit cringeworthy when you see the modern vehilces!!!! D'oh!! :-D

I dont suppose that they are taking any more liberties than the film companies making WW11 films with M38 Jeeps, Reo`s, GMC M135s and a gaggle of post war tanks......... perhaps it would be better if we just squint when watching.

You have a point. Well said.

However, I don't think film directors have us military vehicle enthusiasts/ anoraks in mind when they make WW2 films using post war Reo's for example. They know that average Joe out there watching their films wouldn't know the difference between a FWD Har cargo truck and a post war Reo. As long as its green.....

Edited by Puff

• 2 weeks later...
However, I don't think film directors have us military vehicle enthusiasts/ anoraks in mind when they make WW2 films using post war Reo's for example. They know that average Joe out there watching their films wouldn't know the difference between a FWD Har cargo truck and a post war Reo. As long as its green.....

Or the FV432s apparently used by Korea (Salt) or the USA (Bourne Ultimatum) ... :-)

Andy

• 8 years later...

Just seen this on BBC iPlayer and enjoyed it,though it was full of military mistakes as others here have pointed out.! I noticed a common one in a lot of British Army dramas is that,no one knows how to wear the beret.They all show the adjustment ribbons,as the French forces do,visible at the back,not hidden.The beret is not worn on the back of the head either!Worn one inch above the eye brow,cap badge over left eye and the beret is shrunk to fit.So easy to get this looking right but usually it looks wrong.

Second point Officers suddenly start to wear red NCO's sashes with BD uniform in episode 4!

Third point No 4 rifle is not carried at the slope arms as the sentries do.probably they would sling arms anyway

I am sure there are many more but as a former ACF NCO from 1958 to 1963 these anomalies  jumped out.