Racal 12m mast - 1486-900

Santa arrived early and there was a 12m Racal lightweight 1486-000 mast complete with accessory kit on his sledge. :cheesy:

I have a scanned copy of the user handbook but some pages are missing. Does anybody have a spare original handbook that they would like to sell or can scan and email me a copy thereof?

Also, what accessories are needed to mount this mast on a Land Rover 110 GS (TUM)? Does anybody have instructions for such an installation or any of the necessary brackets?

Wishing you all a Merry Xmas, Geoff 2E0WKT

golfhotelwhiskey

1988 Truck Utility Medium 12V GS

Geoff

I think the VMARS archive has a full set of the Racal mast manuals as PDF - I got mine via another source so am free to share them with people who have a legitimate need for private use - PM me if you are stuck.

There are a variety of clamps but the most common type for rear mounting on a soft top vehicle may be seen on the back of Robin G0GNE's Lightweight at:

http://5820-99-114.com/TCRU/?p=99

about 2/3 of the way down the page. I have most of the parts needed to make up a set of these if you need them - PM me if interested.

Regards

Iain

73 de G0OZS

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to recall this qestion being asked on the PRC320 group over on Yahoo.

Anyways - to fit the mast to the back of a Landie you need the special bumperette, available on eBay at a price (around £45 a side now):

IMG_5757.jpg

And the appropriate top clamp/mount depending on whether yours is hard top or soft top. This is the soft top version that clamps over the rear of the tub:

IMG_5904.jpg

The hard top one has a bracket that actually screws to the rear wall of the hard top and, I believe, the mount clips into it. Both turn up on eBay very occasionally....

This is an 8m mast installed on the back of my 109" FFR:

IMG_6163_zps636c5f33.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks to all who have responded. I tried to buy the "clamp on" bracket a couple of times on eBay but was outbid on both occasions. I have decided on the alternative solution used by Robin G0GNE although this is not the normal Land Rover solution. Does anyone know what vehicle normally used "Mast base swivel assy - FV2051736"?

A couple of quick questions in a similar vein. I am in the process of buying and registering an RB44 (ex BMETS) which has a Clark 12m mast fitted. This is similar to the one that Withams have in their auction at the moment. Does anyone have details of the accessory kit (guys/baseplate etc) that would allow me to erect it off the vehicle? Second question is, if I raise the mast on the vehicle does it need to be guyed as well?Many thanksRichard

A couple of quick questions in a similar vein. I am in the process of buying and registering an RB44 (ex BMETS) which has a Clark 12m mast fitted. This is similar to the one that Withams have in their auction at the moment. Does anyone have details of the accessory kit (guys/baseplate etc) that would allow me to erect it off the vehicle? Second question is, if I raise the mast on the vehicle does it need to be guyed as well?Many thanksRichard

Answer to the second question is a considered yes. If I push the 8m one up past the first 3 segments it starts to make alarming movements at the top - so I guess unless you want a bent mast it's best to guy it if erecting it fully. :D

• 2 months later...

Quote' I think the VMARS archive has a full set of the Racal mast manuals as PDF - I got mine via another source so am free to share them with people who have a legitimate need for private use - PM me if you are stuck.'

Hi Ian,

I'm new to this forum and after reading some of the threads (this is my first post) I'm specifically researching for mast info. and found this link after several hours googling various miliatary/comm's site and Royal Signals, have found myself here, which seems to havea lot of useful information and people are happy to help !

Anyway, I have a Racal Type 714 12m mast and about to see another 8m extnd/2m collapsed mass (part.no. unknown)

However, I would like to obtain copies of Racal mast service / manuals - but they just seem so aloof! until saw your comment above, and mention of VMARS.

May I please ask if you have any manuals for the above, as cannot see them listed on the VMARS listings.

Very many thanks

Regards

Peter

p.s, So what MoD colour is Clansman Racal Green ? Anyone

Edited by hawky

Hi Cornishbloke,

Many thanks for that. Had already located that .df, but unfortunately pages 3-10 are all scrambled (as attached image) Odd ! Hence my subsequent posting here.

But thanks anyway.

Racal 714 pdf - scrambled.jpg

Hi

The ones I have are the EMERS for repair rather than the user guide - PM me with where to post it if you still need one and I will look at burning it on a CD-ROM for you- if you can donate the value of the stamp to a poppy tin come November I'll be happy

Regards

Iain

Hawky, cornishbloke

Happy to do you a CD each. The masts share most of the components and the method of construction - the main differences are longer tubes and an extra guy attachment point on the 12m

Regards

Iain