Couple of questions about a Reynolds Boughton RB44

Boris113

Question

Hi Guys,

A family friend often lets me use his RB44 and he has asked me to have a look at the brakes which pull to one side. I did quite a bit of research on the internet and have discovered that the Mk1 versions had a braking problem from new, usually pulling to the left. This one seems to pull to the right however. The pedal isn't spongy so I don't think they need bleeding, but is there a way to adjust them up?

I was having a look on the internet and realised how many different variations there are of them (each with a seperate workshop manual. I had a look on this website http://www.dodge50.co.uk/site-info.html to try and determine which model it was, and from the round headlights I think it is a Mk 1, but the chassis number doesn't seem to correlate with the example given on the site- any ideas as to how I work out which type of brakes it has/which manual is needed?

The other problem is that yesterday I went to start it and it was struggling to start, the cold start aid is empty but what does it need to be topped up with?

Thanks in advance, Harry

Edit: I can take pictures of the vehicle and post them up if that would help.

Edited by Boris113

10 answers to this question

The cold start system isn't needed unless its sub zero temperatures - 18. Check the batteries and the connections and see if they are fully charged if its struggling to start.

The RB44 is drum braked front and back, if its pulling to the right I would suspect that one if not both brake cylinders has gone U/S and has deposited brake fluid all over the shoes.

All the RB44's have round headlights and as far as I am aware there isn't a MK1 or MK2. Some RB44's were fitted with winches, comms bodies or different fit outs on the load bed.

Edited by ferrettkitt

Thanks Andy,

I think I may have got slightly mixed up between RB44s and the dodge vehicles on the link I posted!- there is also some info on RB44s on that website.

The battery seems to be ok but there is only 1, should it have 2? It's a canvas backed vehicle as opposed to a special one.

I think I will pull the wheel/drum off on Sunday and have a look inside then, is there a 'how to' guide or a workshop manual available on the internet? My searches threw up this http://www.dodge50.co.uk/RB44%20W-Shop%20M/RB44%20Maintenance%20Schedule%20601.pdf but it doesn't have much detail.

It mentions in the above link that the brake fluid is OX8- the civvy version of this is DOT4 isn't it?

I'm happy playing about with spanners on smaller 4x4s but I've not worked on one of these vehicles before so a bit unsure.

Cheers,

Harry

A few pics of the front drum assembly its not difficult to take apart its just time consuming like anything else

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70154[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70155[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70156[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70157[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70158[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70159[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]70160[/ATTACH]

This is whats known as a MK1 RB44 using a Transit body, its where many of the myths about RB44's started.

http://www.fire-engine-photos.com/picture/number20923.asp

The Dodge 50 site has the full MOD workshop manual on there free to download.

The axles are DANA 60's I think, plenty of them fitted to full size Yank pick-ups if you're after spares (not the brakes though).

The Cab is straight from an 80's American Dodge Van so doors furniture, handles, windows and the like are easy and cheap to source.

Transit? A-Series! (but they did use Transit doors, didn't they?)

A few 4WD Dodge 50-Series around running Boughtons gear - built for civilian use, where Mk1 had round headlamps and steel bonnet, Mk2 square headlamps and GRP bonnet, with a few exceptions/hybrids - they often get refered to as 44's

i've not needed to adjust shoes before removing the drums, just using a pair of M10 set screws in the tapped holes as persuaders if they havn't been off for a while - guess it depends how long/many miles they've been on vehicle without removal

some '50's had a single battery tray (running alongside chassis) and some had a double (at 90degrees to chassis) depending on environment/aux equipment etc. - 2 deffo better than 1 :)

Jim Beam for the cold start?

think there are (at least) 2 types of brake cylinders used in the driven front axles - mine are different to those in photos above

Ether, mmmm thanks, maybe I'll just wind her over then, don't really want to start using that.

cheers

It is OK if used correctly, an overdose can cause damage but these pumps if used to the instructions are more measured. Most problems with diesels is that when they are cold, is that the battery is not high enough charge to turn the engine fast enough.