DODGE WC 51, UK OWNERS PLEASE HELP

bumper

SORRY IF THIS IS IN THE WRONG PLACE, I HAVE DONE A SEARCH AND CANNOT FIND THE ANSWER TO MY PROBLEM SO HOPE YOU GUYS CAN HELP

I HAVE A WC 51 1942, I HAVE OWNED THIS VEHICLE FOR ABOUT 7 MONTHS, TODAY I RECIEVED APPLICATION FORM V11W, VEHICLE LICENSE APPLICATION FORM TO RENEW MY VEHICLE TAX.

IT STATES ON IT THAT I HAVE TO PRODUCE AN APPROPRIATE MOT CERTIFICATE.

I WAS UNDER THE ASSUMPTION THAT THE DODGE WC WAS MOT EXEMPT, INDEED WHEN I BOUGHT THE VEHICLE IT CAME WITH NO MOT CERTIFICATE WHICH I ASSUMED WAS CORRECT.

MY VEHICLE HAS BEEN ROAD REGISTERED SINCE 1947.

COULD SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME IF THIS IS CORRECT, HOW DO I GO ABOUT TAXING MY VEHICLE IF IT IS MOT EXEMPT?

PLAIN ENGLISH PLEASE GUYS, I HAVE BEEN IN WORK SINCE 6 AM AND THE BRAIN CELLS ARE STARTING TO SLOW DOWN, gARETH.

Hello, sorry to sound like a complete idiot, but my vehicle weighs 3750 KG according to the log book, is that not more than 3.5 tons?

Does this mean I should have an MOT?. :|

Am I making a false declaration by signing the V112G form? :police:

This was so much easier with the jeep :-)

Hello, sorry to sound like a complete idiot, but my vehicle weighs 3750 KG according to the log book, is that not more than 3.5 tons?

If it's 3750 KG then V112G it is then..

Hi Gareth,

Welcome to the forum,good to have another WC owner here!

I have heard several different stories from WC owners,some have their vehicles MOT'd,others seem to be able to run as MOT exempt.

Personally I'd get it MOT'd so in the event of any sort of accident no one can claim the vehicle wasn't road worthy. The test on a Dodge isn't as strict as for a modern vehicle.

Matt.

Hi Gareth,

A normal MOT tester can do it,but it helps to go somewhere sympathetic towards older vehicles(easier said than done these days!) Where are you located?

Matt.

Guest WC52 SHMVT

IT MUST BE MOT'D.

Book weight is 5250lbs = 2380Kg, well below the 3500Kg mot exemption limit.

Have you really got an extra 1120Kg of weight on top of the standard model.

I think somebody tell lies.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :-)

I maybe wrong but if your vehicle is over 3.5 tons i dont think you can have it MOTed at a normal MOT station so if your log book states 3750kg then they wont be able to do it at your normal car testing station.

I am not sure what the weight of the WC51 is so some please do tell me,

When I ran a WC-52, I weighed it and it was 2244 kg unladen, therefore 2994 gross. A 51 without a winch must be 150 kg lighter at least so it does need an MOT. You'll get away with it ok untill something goes wrong! The other thing to note is, the exemption applies to 'goods vehicle, pre 1960, over 3500kg gross, used unladen'. If you carry a load, you forfeit that exemption.

When I ran a WC-52, I weighed it and it was 2244 kg unladen, therefore 2994 gross. A 51 without a winch must be 150 kg lighter at least so it does need an MOT. You'll get away with it ok untill something goes wrong! The other thing to note is, the exemption applies to 'goods vehicle, pre 1960, over 3500kg gross, used unladen'. If you carry a load, you forfeit that exemption.

It would seem that someone has registered this vehicle with a higher gross weight so as to take advantage of the MOT exception.

What happens when you take this vehicle to a normal MOT station and they see the weight on the new computer system will they send you onto a goods testing station as its over the normal mot testing weight ?.

If you wanted a normal MOT then wouldn't you have to contact DVLA and get the weight changed on the log book to its correct weight ?

Answers on a separate post please.

FWIW - the weight issue at a normal MOT station seems to relate to the weight their 4 post lifts can handle. We used to have a Series 2A LWB Safari that had to go to a class 7 testing station due to it being too heavy for the lifts. One of the more memorable ownership events was a tester putting it up in the air, walking underneath immediately - then running out again as the lift started to come down.

Mind you - another one was at the class 7 station - no rolling road to test brakes so they used a tapley meter. Tester shot down the access road with seatbelt on and hit the brakes. Little Indian guy sat in the passenger seat watching the meter on the floor didn't wear a seatbelt and, when the tester hit the brakes, shot forwards, head-butted the bulkhead and knocked himself out. Yester pulled up and wrote out the certificate whilst two other chaps lifted the poor old Indian guy out and revived him. We did ask about this, mainly on the basis that if the guy reading the meter was KO'd how did they know all was OK to which the tester replies if they're good enough to do that they're OK - apparently it was a regular occurence?????