British Army Morris Commercial vehicle photo's in Palestine - circa 1938

DesertBlooms88

Some nice shots here from the Library of Congress website showing British Army operations in Palestine 1938

The Flickr link below each photo will also show the Library of Congress ' original ' V LARGE MB file link, which can be downloaded.

British soldiers in Palestine - circa 1938

hmvf41.jpg

British soldiers ( 2nd Battalion Black Watch Regiment ? ) in vehicles near Nablus, Palestine - circa 1938

hmvf42.jpg

British soldiers from the 2nd Battalion Black Watch Regiment  & armoured cars with Lewis machine guns in Julian Way, at Jaffa Gate July 13, 1938 ( LARGE image )

hmvf43.jpg

British soldiers from the 2nd Battalion Black Watch Regiment ( note nearest soldier wearing a Scottish Piper's ' Dirk '  ) in Bethlehem, Palestine - circa 1938

hmvf44.jpg

DesertBlooms88

Edited by DesertBlooms88

There's certainly a posed or at least directed look to them.

Interesting to see the progression from 08 patt webbing in the earlier shots to 37 patt in one of the 38 dated pix. The officer blowing his whistle has 08 patt webbing with sam browne pistol holster in leather with similar bino case, and officers valise with leather base with dog clips which fit to belt/straps. Behind him the starting handle is not locked

The pic of the lorry that's speeding off, I notice under the foot of the passenger there's a sandbag on the floor. Also in that pic there's a couple of semaphore flags stuck into the rear body hoop supports that would take the rear tilt hoops

Also behind Don Estelle, as Tony puts it, (Hi Tony) there's a water tanker version by the looks of it, but with the wooden GS body still on. Sing Lofty...

The pic of the lorry with the three blokes and the Lewis on a tripod also shows two tone camo but the cab side of the front of the body ie the back of the cab, is clearly much darker and prob the original 30s dark green it was painted in the Uk when it ws manufactured. Driver in that pic is wearing coveralls too over his KD- bet he was hot with that on, plus of course leather seats on the early lorries.... phew

couple of pix show the tax disc holder mounted on the n/s cowling

loads of detail - great pix!

Simon

I am really enjoying reading all the replies and many new points to note too.

Two other shots here to complement one from above showing troops in Jerusalem circa 1938.

Again, the original LARGE MB Library of Congress image can be found via the Flickr link.

British soldiers from the  2nd Battalion Black Watch Regiment & armoured cars with Lewis machine guns in Julian Way, at Jaffa Gate July 13, 1938 ( LARGE image )

hmvf50.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39411748@N06/6040685863/in/set-72157631983929201

hmvf51.jpg

DesertBlooms88

Edited by DesertBlooms88

A great thanks for all the replies... so interesting to read.

A few more shots here.

Again the LARGE MB original can be found by clicking the Flickr link and then using the Library of Congress link.

British soldiers from the 2nd Battalion Black Watch Regiment in Bethlehem, Palestine - circa 1938

British soldiers from the 2nd Battalion Black Watch Regiment in Bethlehem, Palestine - circa 1938

hmvf52.jpg

British army officers in Palestine - circa 1938

hmvf53.jpg

hmvf54.jpg

DesertBlooms88

Edited by DesertBlooms88

Two more showing Morris Commercial vehicles, i think.

Original LARGE MB Library of Congress ( downloadable ) image can be found via the Flickr link.

October 1938 in Jerusalem, Palestine.... a British Army Morris Commercial vehicle at left of each picture.

British troops in Jerusalem, Palestine - circa 1938

hmvf55.jpg

British troops in Jerusalem, Palestine - circa 1938

hmvf56.jpg

DesertBlooms88

Edited by DesertBlooms88

This is a shot from earlier which i have re submitted in LARGER form.

It is the better image from this group at the Jaffa gate.

British soldiers with Morris Commercial vehicles and Lewis machine guns in Julian Way, at Jaffa Gate July 13, 1938 ( LARGE image )

Library of Congress ' original ' ( LARGE MB for downloading ) available via Flickr link.

To downlad the original Library of Congress HIGH RES image click the Flickr below for the link

British soldiers (  2nd Battalion Black Watch Regiment  ? ) with Morris Commercial vehicles and Lewis machine guns in Julian Way, at Jaffa Gate July 13, 1938 ( LARGE image )

DesertBlooms

ee.jpg

Edited by DesertBlooms88

This scene is shown in an earlier reply but this photo is not the same.

British troops in a Morris Commercial vehicle with Lewis machine gun - Palestine circa 1930's

Library of Congress ' original ' ( LARGE MB for downloading ) available via Flickr link.

British troops in a Morris Commercial vehicle with Lewis machine gun - Palestine circa 1930's

hmvf61.jpg

DesertBlooms88

Edited by DesertBlooms88

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mate , Great photo's of the Morris Commercials - I have not seen these before - Are copies of the original photo's obtainable ?

Does anyone have any further info on the Lewis Gun mounts in the rear of the trucks?? I would love to have copies of any diagrams or pictures anyone has which would allow me to make an accurate replica ?? any info would be gratefully welcomed , cheers

Glynn

Are copies of the original photo's obtainable ?

Thanks for your comments.

The original files for the images are on the Library of Congress website and they can be accessed via the Flickr links.

On more recent posts i have just shown the LOC file link with any photo's i show.

Here is a photo close up for the Lewis Gun mounting and also the Library of Congress link so you can access the original LARGE MB file.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/mpc2010004199/PP/

hmvf118.jpg

DesertBlooms88

Edited by DesertBlooms88

• 8 years later...

Most of the Morris trucks shown in this thread are indeed 15 cwt CS8s.  There are some larger trucks, probably 30 cwt, with longer bonnets.  But the general speaking from the back of a truck with the tailboard down is using an 8cwt PU as his rostrum.  Probably a Morris as well, but difficult to tell from the back as the bodies on these were much the same for all makes (I can think of at least four makes). 

Chris