Scammell, AEC, Leyland

Hi radiomike

An interesting series of pics which I, at least, have not seen before.

The first pic, as is one of the later ones, is of course the Scammell Constructor, not always seen as a truck-tractor and also with bicycle style front wings.

After the Bedford TM6 comes an Albion BY 3ton 6x4, probably on pre-war trials.

However, the next one stumps me. Again, I would say it is on pre-war trials (in the rain), but what it is I do not know. It could just be one of the very early attempts at the AEC Matador, from Hardy Motors, but doesn't look high enough. The long running board joined to the rear wings could be from Karrier, but both these are guesses.

The pair from the 1950 FVRDE show are led by an early AEC Militant Mk 1 (6x4) and the monster is the mighty FV1201 6x6 30ton from Leyland, designed as the largest member of the CT (Combat Truck) high mobility post war range of trucks, only two of which ever entered service (the Champ and the Humber FV1600 1 ton).

The Austin is the FF 3-5ton 4x4; one of a number of mid range 4x4 trucks trialled by FVRDE in the 1960s, but not put into service.

HTH

Chris

Hi radiomike

An interesting series of pics which I, at least, have not seen before.

The first pic, as is one of the later ones, is of course the Scammell Constructor, not always seen as a truck-tractor and also with bicycle style front wings

Chris

There were 54 made for the RE with 14.00x20 tyres and a Rolls C6NFL diesel, I used to own 83BL02.