Deac storage

I've got about eight various Enfields and a couple of Brens on the wall of my office,a Bren and a Vickers on the floor plus several Stens, the odd Webley and a Thompson lying around.

When the County Firearms Officer came to inspect my shotgun cabinet in the same room he simply said "very nice",I produced the deac certificates and insisted he look at them. Cabinet pronounced OK and no further comment.

On another occasion when on holiday a few years ago,the alarm went off. Two officers turned up and went through the house room by room with a keyholder. Their torch beam fell on the "Enfield" wall and the comment was " f****k me - he's not Irish is he". Again the paperwork was produced and no further comment.

If you're thinking about transport (as opposed to storage) consider the scenario if well-meaning member of the public rings Mr Plod saying "there's a man driving down the High Street with a machine gun in his car". Mr Plod will send an ARV to investigate, whose weapons won't be deactivated. Save yourself the trouble and possible fatal injury by ensuring your weapons are at least covered or even better, hidden from view.

Andy

I find it is best to treat deacs the same as live firearms so keep my deacs in locked gun cabinets along with the live stuff which goes someway to keeping the firearms licencing officer in a good mood when he comes to inspect my storage arrangements at licence renewal time

Works with ambulances of all ages as well. :-D Often just a big smile and a wave and on you go.

Re Dartford Crossing, Own a Pinzgauer Ambulance 6x6 tows a Trailer 4 axle, go through crossing every year to War & Peace show, one year stopped at pay booth operator asked how much I usually pay, said a couple of quid, she then counted every axle and charged me as an arctic !!! no sense of humour some people :laugh::laugh:

I see what you are saying but they are all stored in proper approved cabinets and I keep no ammunition at home so unless the FLO suggests different thats the way they stay

I think it makes a huge amount of sense (maybe separate cabinets for live and de-ac, though), given:

1) they're an "attractive item". cf the Cobatton incident.

2) if they did get stolen, the dibblery would be very unhappy (might get used in hold-ups, etc. by scrotes.)

3) the replacement cost only ever increases over time.

4) if it was an "old stye" de-ac it may be impossible to get another one like it.

Chris.