Saracen Improvements

Alaskan

Hello everyone thought I would give you an update on my Saracen project and some of the improvements we have been making to it.

First, the vehicle was featured in last month's issue of Diesel Power Magazine, which helped me get sponsors to continue the upgrade progress. Rockford-Fosgate donated about 20k of electronics which will be installed in the vehicle, and I have engineers from K&N and Magnaflow helping with the air intake and exhaust upgrades.

As you can see from the attached pictures, we modified the exhaust with a low-flow muffler and custom built stack similar to some Saracens I have seen in the past; most notably the ones modified for the old Judge Dredd movie.

The deck plates on my Saracen had bowed and warped slightly with time, so we upgraded and strengthened the deck. This also gave us areas to install marine grade speakers Rockford-Fosgate gave us. The yellow lettering and gry/black warning decals in the picture have not been applied yet (the paint is still drying).

I have put several hundred miles on it since the engine upgrade, with no problems or breakdowns. Top speed is 70mph, but will cruise all day at 55mph. Getting about 12 mph before muffler upgrade; hope to bring that up a mile or two with the new exhaust work.

rodney is happy.jpg

proto2.jpg

what engine did you fit, she looks real cool like that...a diesel sarry and ferrett would be my idea of heaven...diesel stalwart will be first in line...

Hello....

We installed a Navistar DT466 diesel, with a heavy duty Allision Auto Trans. It has gobs of power now and the auto trans allows me to drink my coffee as we cruise down the road...lol

Rodney

Paulo, Alaskan did a BIG conversion which is a resounding sucess. His thread is here on British Vehicles somewhere.

yes that sounds like it...i would love to do this, a saracen with say 250-300 bhp with an auto box would be a scream to drive...and it looks like the auot box will be a whole lot sweeter for the drive train than the semi auto box it used to have. with only 4 useable gears...how many gears does your allison box have, 5 6 or 7...I envy you indeed...but once I have a diesel stalwart i think a diesel saracen would be my next plan, or maybe a diesel ferrett...there are so many good diesel engines about...

yes that sounds like it...i would love to do this, a saracen with say 250-300 bhp with an auto box would be a scream to drive...and it looks like the auot box will be a whole lot sweeter for the drive train than the semi auto box it used to have. with only 4 useable gears...how many gears does your allison box have, 5 6 or 7...I envy you indeed...but once I have a diesel stalwart i think a diesel saracen would be my next plan, or maybe a diesel ferrett...there are so many good diesel engines about...

Paul,

This vehicle does not retain any of the standard drive train.

Alaskan's build thread here: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?26924-Saracen-Upgrade-Progress

Very successful for it's intended purposes it seems , in my opinion, just needs a faked up cover for the rear wheel so they all look the same, but I'm sure you have a plan for this Alaskan ..:)

Yes, you are right... we want to make the wheels look the same, just a money issue. All in time. Finished the paint and graphics today, will attach a few more pictues

briliant...fantastic job...I have a spare chassis...I wonder...

so comparison.

fuel consumption

std ...........................modified

4mpg.......................... 8-12mpg?

top speed on road

45mph........................ 70 plusmph

Brakes

air over hydraulic.......... air

top speed off road

variable...................... unlikely

reverse speed

45 mph........................ 10mph

trench crossing

1.2m............................. 12 inches maximum as long as speed maintained.

reliability

30 hours between............. 10,000 miles

breakdowns

Driveability

simple once used to it.......... like a truck easy..

for fun it is a great on road conversion that can be used regularly...as a capable military vehicle it is no good at all...just proves how good the saracen was in the fifties over 60 years ago...

Edited by paulob1

Just re-read your re-build thread, and the more I look at it the more sense it makes, an audacious concept well carried out..:bow:

Are you taking the easy route by using the truck's identity, and just declaring it as re-bodied?

I'm just thinking that there would be more than a few hoops to jump through as a much modified Saracen, there certainly would be in the UK, that's for sure.

Edited by gritineye

briliant...fantastic job...I have a spare chassis...I wonder...

so comparison.

fuel consumption

std ...........................modified

4mpg.......................... 8-12mpg?

top speed on road

45mph........................ 70 plusmph

Brakes

air over hydraulic.......... air

top speed off road

variable...................... unlikely

reverse speed

45 mph........................ 10mph

trench crossing

1.2m............................. 12 inches maximum as long as speed maintained.

reliability

30 hours between............. 10,000 miles

breakdowns

Driveability

simple once used to it.......... like a truck easy..

for fun it is a great on road conversion that can be used regularly...as a capable military vehicle it is no good at all...just proves how good the saracen was in the fifties over 60 years ago...

Paulob... your breakdown is fairly accurate except for the trench crossing and reliability. This modified Saracen sits higher and comes in a 9 feet, 7 inches tall. The tires are 14R20 run flats, so it should be able to handle a fair amount of water/trench. I was not getting 30 hours between breakdowns before...unfortunately.

As far as off road... I will probably never know. It goes up steep hills with ease, but I don't want the nightmare of getting it stuck anywhere so I will not venture far off the beaten path.

The armor has been maintained so that I can use it if needed for my day job (Alaska State Trooper) but I agree it is not the military vehicle it once was.

From my prior thread you can see that it was a simple choice for me.... 1. keep it original and have a museum piece in my garage, or 2. modify it so I can use it. Parts, maintenance, breakdowns, leaks, etc. in its original form were killing me. Had to make a change.

Just re-read your re-build thread, and the more I look at it the more sense it makes, an audacious concept well carried out..:bow:

Are you taking the easy route by using the truck's identity, and just declaring it as re-bodied?

I'm just thinking that there would be more than a few hoops to jump through as a much modified Saracen, there certainly would be in the UK, that's for sure.

Under our laws here, it is registered as the Saracen and not the sacrificial vehicle used to upgrade it. I had to have it inspected for road suitability and insure it, but beyond that no problems. It is classified as a special use vehicle.

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone, thought I would show a few pictures of the updates we have been making to my Saracen. First we had K&N custom design a high capacity air filter system for the vehicle and installed that. We also enhanced the frontal armor, created a cowling, and are installing ballistic windows. More modifications to come....

air.jpg

DSC03787.jpg

WOW !!! What a beauty.........Sponsors !!!!!!!! I would like to have a couple of retired master mechanics from the British or Canadian Army for about a month for my Ferret...LOL...It would be great if they could relocate to my neighborhood....:)

• 1 year later...

Still going strong! Over a thousand miles since the upgrade with no mechanical issues. The vehicle was featured on the NatGeo Show Doomsday Preppers, episode "Take our Country Back". We now have a working .50 cal BMG for the turret and are continuing with the upgrades. Driving like a champ!

7.JPG

2073695_family-tank_7hqdjmj4am3d2cszxsyeykq4xpncurxrbvj6lwuht2ya6mzmafma_610x457.jpg

2073697_take-your-mark1_7hqdjmj4am3d2cszxsyeykq4xpncurxrbvj6lwuht2ya6mzmafma_610x457.jpg

2073698_tank-interior_7hqdjmj4am3d2cszxsyeykq4xpncurxrbvj6lwuht2ya6mzmafma_610x457.jpg

Teamwork.jpg

I think it is great for all the same reasons others have said.

I am sorry that I could not convince my mates to buy your undercarriage and re use it and put some coin back in your pocket.

You have a great toy and hope to continue seeing it around and hear about for a long time to come.

If you ever make it this far south and east you have a standing invite to visit.

Best Regards

Robin

A lot of effort went into that! Are the center wheels powered? I ask because they look like they are suspended above the ground.

Matt

The center wheels were put on a air lift system to allow the vehicle to make really tight turns. Driving down the road they can be lowered with the flick of a switch and add stability, but are not powered.

• 10 months later...
The center wheels were put on a air lift system to allow the vehicle to make really tight turns. Driving down the road they can be lowered with the flick of a switch and add stability, but are not powered.

Really a great job..Beautiful...