Holiday Pics - MVs?

mike65

Recently returned from missing the Olympics by going to Alaska.

Seems that there are a few MV's lurking in and out of the undergrowth out there, along with may other interesting old vehicles.

Could not get pictures of everything as most were seen in passing or were off the road on private property.

So sorry no pictures of the weasel spotted on the Denali Highway or the Lightweight Land Rover heading up towards the Hetcher Pass.

Mot sure if the Jeep was ex-mil or civvy original, but was the better of about 6 that were lurking in one area.

No idea what the others are exactly as not that good with US stuff, but mo doubt somebody knows.

Mike

PS: The Mercedes is for interest only as was actually German registered.

dsc01756.jpg

dsc01757.jpg

dsc01824.jpg

dsc01890.jpg

dsc01892.jpg

dsc01893.jpg

dsc02032.jpg

First one looks like military Chevy 1.5 ton, not sure about the jeep but I think probably civi. The three trucks are all Reo's,

the third one has been chopped from the original 6x6, quite a common mod in the U.S.

.... The three trucks are all Reo's, the third one has been chopped from the original 6x6, quite a common mod in the U.S.

I believe bobbed is the technical term :D

Do you think someone out there makes giant Trikes with all those spare rear axles? :coffee:

I believe bobbed is the technical term :D

Do you think someone out there makes giant Trikes with all those spare rear axles? :coffee:[/quote

Correct.........I think butchered would be better:-D

Don't know about trikes, I had visions of giant dual wheel bogies (what we used to call 4 pram wheels and some timber steered with a piece of string):nut:

First one looks like military Chevy 1.5 ton, not sure about the jeep but I think probably civi. The three trucks are all Reo's,

the third one has been chopped from the original 6x6, quite a common mod in the U.S.

Thanks for.

Suspect civvy jeep as has WILLYS stamped into the side of the bonnet and don't remember that on any mil omes Ie seen.

Mike

Shoot me down but didn't the US Mail use a lot of jeeps post war production down the years? Could this be a repainted one of those? I dunno - just fencing...

I always thought the postal jeeps were the later model with curves on the bonnet/grille are.

Mind you should have paid more attention to the one with a hard top on it, mind you it was half hidden in somebodies property.

The Postal jeeps were right hand drive I believe, this one is left hand as normal, I have seen the spanish army ones with willys on the side of the bonnet.......................maybe one of those

Now that would be an interesting story, from Spain to the end of a road to nowhere in Alaska.

Mike

I always thought the postal jeeps were the later model with curves on the bonnet/grille are.

Mind you should have paid more attention to the one with a hard top on it, mind you it was half hidden in somebodies property.

Now that would be an interesting story, from Spain to the end of a road to nowhere in Alaska.

Mike

well a couple of them keep turning up in the Agricultural Auction near me, spanish, rusted and with Perkins engines, they never seem to sell though .so the reserve must be high

Recently returned from missing the Olympics by going to Alaska.

Seems that there are a few MV's lurking in and out of the undergrowth out there, along with may other interesting old vehicles.

Could not get pictures of everything as most were seen in passing or were off the road on private property.

So sorry no pictures of the weasel spotted on the Denali Highway or the Lightweight Land Rover heading up towards the Hetcher Pass.

Mot sure if the Jeep was ex-mil or civvy original, but was the better of about 6 that were lurking in one area.

No idea what the others are exactly as not that good with US stuff, but mo doubt somebody knows.

Mike

PS: The Mercedes is for interest only as was actually German registered.

Ive just seen a unimog identical to the white one driving through frome in somerset

Thanks for.

Suspect civvy jeep as has WILLYS stamped into the side of the bonnet and don't remember that on any mil omes Ie seen.

Mike

CJ 3 A.

Civilian Jeep although the Dutch army used a lot of them in the Dutch Indies (Indonesia) in the late 40's.

Question is; does the designation as a military jeep apply only if its manufactered as a military one or also when used by an army?

CJ 3 A.

Civilian Jeep although the Dutch army used a lot of them in the Dutch Indies (Indonesia) in the late 40's.

Question is; does the designation as a military jeep apply only if its manufactered as a military one or also when used by an army?

I would work on the lines that the vehicle/jeep in question had to have been specifically owned/operated by the military.

The actual manufacturing spec does not really come into it, unless you refer to purpose built/designed military vehicles.

Anything else would be a replica or a figment of the imagination. Suppose you could get away with military spec (prototype/demonstrator)

Mike

I'm clueless...just throwing a small spanner in..thanks for the feedback! :-D

The Postal jeeps were right hand drive I believe, this one is left hand as normal, I have seen the spanish army ones with willys on the side of the bonnet.......................maybe one of those

Good one!

A "military vehicle" can be any type of vehicle in use by military forces. These days that would even apply to run off the mill Peugeot 307 in factory standard blue (for eaxmple) which is owned and used by military forces.

But I think most people think of a "military vehicle" as one designed specifically for military use.

Now, where does that leave the Universal Jeeps sold by the thousands to military forces across the globe? Most of these had military alterations like matt paint and convoy lighting etc, so in my book an ex-Dutch / Swiss / Belgian / etc military CJ-3A is a military vehicle.

Fire away?!?