CVR(T) Driver's Instrument Panel wiring diagram

matadormike

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram for the driver's instrument panel in a CVR(T)?

I have discovered an issue with the indicators on my Spartan and I could do with a 'map' before I delve in.

Basically, they work fine when the ignition is off, left, right and hazards work as they should.

As soon as you switch the ignition on, they stop working.

All of the other lights are (at the moment....) working fine.

In addition I think the flasher unit fuse has been bypassed as removing it when the indicators were flashing did nothing!

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for the link Chris, I'll get one of those ordered.

Chas, thanks I'll have a look at the positions of all of the switches, it is possible that something is set wrong.

The fuse problem still has me puzzled though.

Cheers

Mike

Mike

Also make sure the infra red switch is set normal not ir. I tried this on mine tonight and hazards etc dont work in ir mode. Of course the lights should also be on in this mode but if the wiring has been modified this may have affected this.

Cheers

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a bit of an investigating session with the indicators and a wiring diagram. I've come to the conclusion that they might be wired wrongly through the ignition swith itself.

Is that possible?

I think that the indicators may be wired to a N/C contact which is opened when the ignition is turned on, since they appear to be wired correctly to the multi position light switch contacts.

I could be barking up the wrong tree here but as I said before, the indicators work fine with the master cutoff on and the ignition off.

As soon as you switch on the ignition, all of the other lights work, and the indicators circuit switches off completely, even if it was on before that.

Any ideas?

I'm really puzzled now...

I may yet have to see if I can temporarily bypass something, which I don't really want to do since this is now one of the last hurdles to getting it on the road.

Thanks

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally got to the bottom of my indicator issues.

It turns out that it was the instrument panel earth strap not being connected to the hull. :argh: :banghead:

I discovered this being the problem after I accidentally earthed the lid to the hull whilst checking voltages with a meter and the indicators sprang into life.

I bolted the earth strap to the hull and bingo - celebration time.

As an added bonus, the fuel gauge now appears to work and the dial lights now work on their dimmer.

All in all quite a happy bunny right now :D

I never thought a bad earth could cause me such agro....

Mike

Result! Well done, devious buggers electrical gremlins, take some catching sometimes :laugh:

Had an ignition problem that eventually stopped my sons bike completely. Turned out to be a

loose earth connection on one of the coils. Threw up all manner of spurious indications!

'Chas.'

I've had some fun with my dashboard too...

The Ins Fuse was blew and it made the rev counter run lower and the ignition light work backwards...:nut:

My fuel gauge reads max all the time at the moment, any ideas what resistance I should measure across the sender???

None of the dash gauge backlights come on either....

Mike

Frustrating but isnt it great when you sort it out!

Cheers

It is, had I not been sat in the driver's seat I'd have started jumping up and down celebrating.

I took it out for a road run on Sunday (partly a celebratory drive) and got through 9 road wheels, won't be out again for a bit till the replacements arrive.

Can you get road wheels re-tyred? I have about 11 with no rubber now...

I'll see if I can find the page in the electrical manual I have with the fuel sender resistances in it.

Cheers

Mike

Road wheel re-rubbering has been discussed several times regarding Universal Carrier wheels. It can be done but is expensive. Companies that supply solid tires for lift trucks do this type of work. Currently available replacement wheels are likely the more economical solution.

Is the loss of multiple wheel rubber at once a common thing? I have considered owning a CVRT but am a very long way from spare parts suppliers.

Having just got my Spartan moving again I lost 2 at the show in Dunchurch. It was especially annoying because I had fitted ones which all looked quite good and they were then painted in situ. I think it is more prevalent if the vehicle hasnt had much use - 9 does sound a little unlucky though. I replaced the knackered ones (looked really good mould line still present no stones stuck in them) with part worn ones (flatted off a bit odd stone doesnt look as nice) and these seem to hold together much better!

I usually hold a stock of a vehicles worth (I have a few vehicles although they dont get much use and have replaced most of the really bad ones already) so if you want to 'borrow' some Mike until yours arrive just let me know..

I know a couple of people who have had 5 years of shows and road runs out of a single set so I think you just need to keep going till you get good ones. They are not that expensive at the moment though and at least are easy to change..

Cheers

It's true that the worst looking and most battered wheels seem to last forever, but the nicest ones with the moulding seams seem to last just minutes out on the road! I fitted a new set of wheels, 2005 dated, when I restored my Sabre in 2008 and I've not lost one yet, touch wood, so I think the trick is finding the newest ones possible. Also try to match the circumference when fitting used ones in pairs.

Chris

You're quite right, some of the wheels I thought would have let go haven't and of course some of the better ones have.

To be fair, I don't know how old the wheels are, so some of them were probably on the way out anyway.

My replacement wheels are on the way, thanks for the offer though.

I've changed more than half of them now, so hopefully I'm on the home straight.

The electrical systems handbook I have says:

Fuel pump solenoid resistance 20 ohms approx

Current consumption less than 1/2 amp

Delivery - 10 pints in 3 mins

Tank unit resistance 350 to 10 ohms

Oil pressure switch opens 8-12 psi

Coolant switch closes 106 deg C (223 deg F)

Hope that's some help

Mike

• 9 months later...

Hello All

I have a problem with the wiring of my Spartan, the RH lights front and rear don't work, LH ok. I opened the Instrument Panel but found no missing connection, unfortunately many markings on the wires are now unreadable over the years.

Is there a fuse dividing LH and RH light wiring?

I hope to get the wiring back in place unharmed and correct. :whistle:

Regards

Raphael