First post - HELLO

Hello, i have been visiting the site for some time and have decided now that i should take the plunge and join.

Firstly a bit about myself. My name is ANDY WESTON. I am 39yrs old and live in Chesterfield, Derbyshire (Uk). I am happily married with three young lads (1,3,& 5yrs), my wife works part time, and i work changing shifts all the time.

(I have withheld my occupation, not because it is secret or exciting, but the organization who i work for can "over-react" in a big brother way to any publicity/ attention of its employees, and so by withholding my job, i reduce the likelyhood of comments/complaints/allegations being brought to their attention and causing me problems. I appologise for this but feel it is necessary and don't wish to have to repeatedly skirt round the issue.)

For over a decade i have been rebuilding my 3 bed semi-detached house and compounded with the factors above (mainly the kids) i have had little time to pursue any hobbies etc :-(, and struggle to join any clubs, or participate in set meetings, or even get to set events. :(

I have had an interest in old machinery since i was a small boy, and was taking things apart from a young age. (not always put back together:-D). I have admired the simplicity of the older machines, which can be fixed, or restored, with standard tools, and remade if required. As machines became more modern 1960/1970's/ etc they became more complicated and electronics started to get involved. I am afraid that was where my interest ended. I believe that something made should last for years, and be able to be repaired when broken, and do not believe in the modern throw away society!!!

I am afraid that this has caused me to be wary of new technology, so i don't have a mobile phone, and i am not very good with my computer. So please bear with me, and accept that i won't be on the computer every day like some youngsters i work with. :-D This has also led to me using a 1966 Series 2A Land Rover, and a 1938 "German" Triumph motorcycle as commuter vehicles.

On the plus side this has led to me being interested in various machines, and having the attitude that i should have a go at everything myself. So i can turn my hand to most things and have collected tools for many skills, though i have not the skills to use them fully yet!!!

Due to my circumstances i have been planning a garage/ workshop for over 10 yrs, and this is only now starting to be completed. Again i have been collecting tools/machines for years and my goal has always been to have a garage to restore things with a machine shop to repair, restore and make the required items. Next couple of years are critical.

My current situation is "LOTS OF PROJECTS, NOT ENOUGH SPACE, NOT ENOUGH TIME, AND NOT ENOUGH MONEY"

I am guessing this is the same as most people at this time.

I have been collecting "projects" for years and am now starting to sort some for selling to fund my workshop, etc.

Basically i hate to see anything go to scrap so end up saving it and rebuilding it, even if i'd rather be working on something else. Last year i sold my VW Splitcreen camper, and a motorbike, and the current project in line is finishing my 1975 Ex-NATO Mercedes Benz UNIMOG 406 by the end of July to sell for funds.

Future projects are AKTIV FISCHER SNOWTRAC, 1990 Mini Cooper S prototype, Ferguson T20 TVO tractor, various pre 65 motorbikes, etc, etc.

I have been interested in military vehicles since i was a kid, after watching the weekend war films and visiting shows. Long term goal was/is to own a Willys jeep, but this keeps being put back as prices keep going up. I have had a military lightweight Land Rover, and the Unimog, but my best military vehicle is an unrestored 1940's ex-RAF MATCHLESS G3 motorbike, still with canvas bags etc. This does not currently run, but is in good condition. I am saving it till i have space to sort it properly. (This will not be restored, only fixed to run!!)

As i am now starting to get to work on projects i thought i would join HMVF and utillise the help and knowledge of the members. I have seen from visiting how helpful people are, and know that i am with like minded people.

Finally after seeing the restoration section, and the skills and work of some of the members, it is an inspiration to get on with some projects, such as one i am considering for my mid life crisis next year !! - BUT THATS ANOTHER STORY YET TO COME ;)

Wow what a fantastic introduction!!!

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure we can all learn a lot from your experience and you from us!

Now, if you would please start on the Clubhouse extension, it's getting rather crowded here and you've brought a lot of gear :saluting:

Yes indeed, a wonderful and comprehensive introduction to the forum, do stay with us and keep us informed of any progress with restorations, photographs are always very welcome, one photograph can be worth a thousand words. And welcome to the friendly forum.