landrover taxation class

XWDV8

Ahem, say nowt, you are fortunate, you could open a can of worms and a world of pain!!

There may be a chance, however, that a previous owner has had the vehicle weighed and sent the report off to the dvla with supporting evidence and they have de-rated it but left the VIN plate as-original.

Alec.

Everything is now 'Computer guided'. So what ever comes up on the screen, monkey see monkey told. Unfortunatley, Monkey up at DVLA seems to have taken the lazy option and dumped all utility Land Rovers at higher weight, regardless of wheelbase or age.Seems to be working on the idea of making an arbitiry decison, then jutify job sorting out the cock ups.

Thanks Mike, sorry ment HGV

I did look into getting it down plated but with the Missile racks, Missiles, radio kit,batterys, that bolt in the back

this will be hard.

dont mind its HGV just dont wont a tug from the old bill over some taxation or class point :stop:

Class 7 is only up to 3500 Kg.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/owningavehicle/mot/dg_4022514

3501 Kg and over would make it HGV.

Which opens another can of worms.

May be worth getting it down plated.

Mike

The link in the post quoted is interesting since the direct.gov site is still showing Dual Purpose Vehicles listed under the Class 4 MOT section (which I understood had been removed from 2010).

Since the definition of a DPV is contained in the C&U Regs 1986 (as amended), any Landrover with an unladen weight (note, not kerb weight) under 2040kg is a DPV, with a very few exceptions (for example the Series One 4x2 version isn't since it doesn't have all-wheel-drive). The C&U regs do not specifiy a maximum GVW or GTW for a DPV, only the unladen weight restriction.

I don't know the ULW of a 127 Rapier, if it is (or can be made to be) under 2040kg, then, provided that the info on the direct.gov page above is still correct you should be eligible for a Class 4 MOT (as well as able to drive at normal i.e., car speed limits, exempt from "O" licensing, and exempt from Driver's Hours regs as well). The tax class of PLG is consistent with DVLA thinking that it is a DPV.

Landrover usually quotes only kerb weights for its vehicles, and the kerb weight includes something like 70kgs for the driver, a 3/4 full tank of fuel, spare wheel, tools, etc. The legal definition of unladen weight certainly doesn't include the driver, not sure about the fuel and tools though.

I have just got the v5 for my 127 rapier. on the v5 the taxation class as PLG. the last road tax 2006 also PLG. but the id plate (see photo) is 3600kg have the DVLA got the taxation class wrong ?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63547[/ATTACH]

You are not reading the plate correctly, the maximum axle weights add up to 3.4t assuming perfect loading which is nigh on impossible. The undefined weights are most likely a 3.6t trailer and a 6.9t gross train weight.