It's purpose is pretty obvious.

While the bell is plugged in, it rings, it is unplugged, the phone is then plugged in and someone says 'Hello'

I should think so indeed. You all seem to be pitting your wits & I seem be the target :D

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A circuit tester for phone lines?
A good thought but nope. The bell is connected predominantly but with the option of the telephone if needed. I suspect the plug-in nature of the bell box is that it is only plugged in when required & doesn't get ruined being left out in the rain for long periods.

To signal when Gas or Toxins clear in the trenches or enclosures????? A Curved Ball answer from this side of the room :-X
Sorry Wayne I missed you. Post came in whilst replying. Not a gas alarm. Bear in mind this was 1909. Is that a curved room as well?

Is that a curved room as well?
Oh Yes Indeed Clive with soft padded walls.......That's where you will send us all with these teasers...............

Next time I will do more mental observation in your study........Mind you to many documents to remember and knowing you, ones for this will be shielded in a Faraday Cage...............;)

Is the third wire of any significance? Is that for the phone as two would be enough for a simple bell circuit
I think the brass strips in the bottom of the box connect together so when the box is inserted the lower two contact strips on the mounting bracket are short circuited. This could then be used to activate say a bulb & battery to indicate to the controller of the bells that a particular bell box was plugged in. The controller being out of earshot of the bell.

Hi Clive,

Just noticed that I seem to have done it again :D, thanks. Anyway as the quiz is still to be completed, I think it is a tester to to check each field telephone position and is checked at each end simultaniously, operator knowing that circuit is complete, and the checker knows it is working by the bell ringing.

I think it is a tester to to check each field telephone position and is checked at each end simultaniously, operator knowing that circuit is complete, and the checker knows it is working by the bell ringing.
All sounds a very reasonable use of the apparatus, but it was designed for another purpose.

All sounds a very reasonable use of the apparatus, but it was designed for another purpose.

OK ,another thought then. The telephone was not normally installed for securuty reasons, and bell box fitted in place, when it rang, the person in charge would remove bell and insert phone ........... off to bed, as I am sure this is probably not correct !

Hmmm. Perhaps the controller was the FOO and the bell was at the battery. The FOO had to contend with loss of communications due to bomb blasts, perhaps the third line allowed him to check the connection with the bell i.e. check for a complete cirtuit. If the circuit was open they would rush about and replace the lines - while under fire.

And then again, maybe I'm completely off the beam... Robert

OK ,another thought then. The telephone was not normally installed for securuty reasons, and bell box fitted in place, when it rang, the person in charge would remove bell and insert phone ........... off to bed, as I am sure this is probably not correct !
You are right Richard not correct.

It is a "token" to allow operation on a military munitions railway line , wires from connection probably connected to the rails are means of communication to signal box.
An intriguing idea Tony but not correct.

As you doing the 'vauge' conformation bit on it being artillery related . Is the 'third wire ' connected to the firing mechanism of the gun, to allow remote firing?
The vague is probably too vague to be of value in untangling the use.

There were two words in one of my replies yesterday that extracted from the context will give the game away.

Hmmm. Perhaps the controller was the FOO and the bell was at the battery. The FOO had to contend with loss of communications due to bomb blasts, perhaps the third line allowed him to check the connection with the bell i.e. check for a complete cirtuit. If the circuit was open they would rush about and replace the lines - while under fire.

And then again, maybe I'm completely off the beam... Robert

I'm afraid no FOOs envolved.

This equipment was not for use in actual conflict.