Aussie ferret purchased for spares

Ken Wales

I have just purchased another Ferret as a spares source for my other one (which was imported from the UK)

Details are

Australian Number

With coloured red and yellow sign on back and front 107

Date Plate

Mark 1 Model B

427 Cont No 6/FV/4267 Vehicle No 36 BA 95

On removal of data plate expecting to see date of manufacture there has been another plate welded to the hull

427B

Condition is very rough.

Referring to Ferret in British Army service indicates it was built in 1951 and the Contract Number 6/FV/4267 and British registration ( 36 BA 95) ties up but why was it given a British registration?

The ignition panel looks a lot different (old fashioned) to my other Ferret a 1959 Mk2

Any comments help with the history would be appreciated. Is there any point of approaching tank museum to see if it had a UK history or would it have been sent to Australia immediately?

Hi Ken

The original Aussie and Canadian ferrets were taken out of the First British Army contract, which was for 593 vehicles and took quite a while to fulfill (as you can imagine with that number to be produced under a new production line) The British Military numbers were already assigned, however I don't think they were ever in service with the British Army.

It might be worth an email to the librarian of the Tank Museum, just to check if anything exists against 36BA95. All the record cards are held there for ferrets.

Regarding the hull number. 427 is the hull (build) number and after the B on the hull plate should be another 2/3 digits. The first will be the month and the second will be the year in the 50's, so for example 500 B.3.4, would decode as Hull number 500 built in March 1954 (for example).

Can you have another look? or even post a photo of the hull plate.

Cheers

Matt

Matt

Thanks for that information very informative. I will have another look at hull plate but what I saw on initial look was this small plate 2 inches by 1 inch welded to the hull with 427 B engraved. The area around this plate I could see no other markings showing the manufacturing date. I did not clean the paint off to see if there was anything underneath but the welded plate was probably right on top of the area I need to see.

Robin.

I understand your comments but I am concerned as there is only one supplier in Australia that I am aware of (he is pretty good from my limited experience) but if I need a large part it would be difficult/expensive to get hold of if the Australian supplier could did not have in stock. One of the main reasons I purchased the Ferret was to get the large side bin which is slightly ironic as at the time my offer was finally accepted I had already committed to buy a replica bin whilst I was in the UK. That came home with me on an Emirates flight as luggage 20 kilos worth. The Ferret is now stored in my hangar and will not deteriorate any further. It will not die. it will be a hangar queen and someday someone may rebuild it but it is in pretty poor condition with some internal parts stripped before I purchased. One potential is that it could be made into a museum exhibit at some future date.

KenIMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1615.JPG

Hi Ken

The small welded on plate sounds like the genuine hull plate. The numbers on the RH side of the B might be very faint. Anyway, if you can post a pic of the plate for further investigation that would be great.

Matt

Hi Ken

The small welded on plate sounds like the genuine hull plate. The numbers on the RH side of the B might be very faint. Anyway, if you can post a pic of the plate for further investigation that would be great.

Matt

Please see attached photo of plate. It shows 6 upwards arrow and 4 so I presume June 1954. Tank Museum replied very quickly but they have no records.IMG_1625.JPG