Colwyn Bay Forties Festival

Despite the cool showery weather the public turned out in large numbers to make this a very successful first event. For several reasons there were only 3 jeeps, a Reo, (yes I know) and an ex circus Matador in attendance, this will be sorted for next year but there was a full size replica Spitfire and a restored Llandudno & Colwyn Bay tram.

I thought we'd all seen plenty of jeep pics so just took ones of the people. The old guy in the in the wheel chair is 92 and was a Desert Rat and POW for nearly 4 years after being captured at El Acroma near Tobruk.

The building behind the tram was one of those taken over by the Ministry of Food during the war.

Colwyn Bay 40's day 001.jpg

Colwyn Bay 40's day 010.jpg

Colwyn Bay 40's day 011.jpg

Colwyn Bay 40's day 013.jpg

Colwyn Bay 40's day 014.jpg

nice Guy Otter

Mark

Again a little bit adrift 40's wise, early fifties as I remember. Used to belong to the old Llandudno UDC and used on the Great Orme service, now in preservation with a local coach company.

Edited by Degsy

Nice picture's. Did you get a shot of the Matador, or do you know which Circus it belonged to?

Thank you.To be honest I didn't bother as it's appeared on here on several previous occasions. Didn't ask which Circus owned it but it will be at Llandudno in May if you are going, the owner also knows it is ex RAF but nothing else of it's history. It doesn't have a sprung tow hitch on the front nor does it have front winch rollers.

Thank you.To be honest I didn't bother as it's appeared on here on several previous occasions. Didn't ask which Circus owned it but it will be at Llandudno in May if you are going, the owner also knows it is ex RAF but nothing else of it's history. It doesn't have a sprung tow hitch on the front nor does it have front winch rollers.

Thank you, I know which one you are on about now Degsy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60764[/ATTACH]

Presumably this one. No idea which circus had it.

In Steve Richards AEC Matador book it says about this Matador, "As a MAT it passed from the RAF to the Ministry of Works (Airfields)."

That's the one, as suggested by the photo it is now used sometimes to tow the tram to shows. From it's circus days it still has a Gardner engined genny in the back but not in working condition at present.

I will tell the owner about it's Ministry history next time I see him.