Strange little knob on RR B40 Champ engine

HI all

I noticed recently while looking at my new purchase a small round brass screw knob sitting next to the thermostat unit on the Rolls Royce B40 Mk 1 5A. When I asked the owner, he told me they used this to insert small pieces of paper into it with the relevant modifications they carried out to the engine.

Has anyone ever seen this?

P1020216.JPG

Simon

HI all

I noticed recently while looking at my new purchase a small round brass screw knob sitting next to the thermostat unit on the Rolls Royce B40 Mk 1 5A. When I asked the owner, he told me they used this to insert small pieces of paper into it with the relevant modifications they carried out to the engine.

Has anyone ever seen this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60109[/ATTACH]

Simon

Hi Simon,

All the Rolls Royce B Range engines had this container, as well as some other military engines. It had a form rolled up inside with date of last overhaul and modification references and when they were implemented.

It was not an original fitting & was introduced in EMER POWER S 007 Mod Instr No.1 Oct 1957.

It was applied to:

Rolls Royce 'B' Series engines

Meadows 'A' series auxiliary generating engines

Morris auxiliary generating engines

Just happen to have one on the desk in front of me, it is nearly twice the length shown & has space on the back for quite a large number of mods!

App3037.jpg

add to that, J60 Jaguar engines, as well

Add in the Meteorite Mk204.

I say this because there was a flap on in the early seventy. Doubt was raised that the internal lock wire mods had been done. So all holders of Mk 1 & 2 Antar's had to consult the little tube and take remedial action and annotate the record. The tube on them was two halves, male and female, in aluminium with a sealing "o" ring. Situated right hand by "a" magneto.

Edited by FEC

I think that RR B40 crated replacement engines had these fitted, open it up and have a look, found one on my Champ and inside was the original "passport" showing when it was built with two inspectors signatures a real time capsule, maybe you'll be lucky and find one in yours. NB had to use some persuasion to get the lid off but it was worth the effort, regarding my tinwork I treat any rust with "Genolite" a rust treatment goo, but mostly the best way is to cut out the bad bits and replace with new material, apart from the cills which I replaced with repair panels that I got by trading a rear hub for most repairs are simple flat panels.

The most damage caused to my Champ was caused by a mouse making its nest in the rear winch well which has proved the most difficult and time consuming to restore darn that mouse !!!