B Card History on Regiment

Rover8FFR

I know my FFR Lightweight was converted to Winterised Spec (date unknown), but believed to be in ownership of 29 Cdo RM Regt RA after 14 May 1981.

I know the landie started life in Northern Ireland with 3 UDR in 1977 and soon moved across to VSD NI on 17th August 1977. On 2nd October 1977 she was assigned to 41 Cdo RM.

In 1979 (5th April ) it was asigned to 41 Cdo RM (R/Pty) ????? Relevance Please above 41 Cdo RM earlier, and then stayed with 41 Cdo up until a move to 29 Cdo in 1981 (Pre Falklands).

I believe that 41 Cdo up until 1979 were based in Malta, so wonder if she would have been there. I guess so as part of 41 Cdo MT.

Then after return to UK after Malta extraction in 79 she shifted to 29 Cdo in 1981..........I notice in Mark Cook's book that a Lightweight is being worked upon in the Falklands and its ERN is 44GF04..........Mine is 44GF13 and the vehicles were block booked so close to a Regt.....I know from MOD rules today, especially as after the UDR this vehicles whole life was Cdo RM.

This is where it gets interesting as she was converted to Winterised, which fits with 29 Cdo instead of 41 Cdo.......

Their is no proof as yet to confirm, but I would like to edge my bets, even wrongly that this vehicle went to the Falklands with 29 Cdo RM. If she didn't then she was prepared to go!

In 1983 she was moved over to 3Cdo, which fits as 29Cdo were support to 3 Cdo..........

Aparantly before her release in 1991 she was with UK Support Command Grp that is on Merlin. But not B Card, so suspect a spin off from 3 Cdo....

Anyone any comments or agreement on provenance in THEORY!!!!!!!!! I need to visit 29 Cdo Regt Museum to see to be 100%, but the Cdo's don't leave kit behind when they go.

I know this from my MOD background and also designing MT's for 59 Cdo in Civi Street.............

Please see image of B Card Below for Validity

DSCF6287.JPG

29 Commando Regt, RA is trained to fight in mountains and cold areas. One of the main training grounds in the 70's was Norway and I know that my old l/wt Land Rover was winterised for use there. Which Bty was you Land Rover in within 29? That may help narrow down your search for clues as the batteries were stationed in different areas.

'R/Pty' stands for Rear Party, the part of the unit that either was the last to leave a location or stayed there whilst the rest went to Northern Ireland or, possibly, the Falklands!

If it wasn't with 29Cdo in the Falklands in 82, would it have had another entry for R/Pty at that time.:undecided::undecided::undecided:

:undecided:

The Vehicle History Cards are not always complete, as we know (my 432 card made no mention of it being on Op granby in the Gulf, but I know it was there!), but I think it should have probably had a 29 Cdo (Rear Party) entry if if stayed in the UK. I see where you're going with this - if there's no entry, it went to the Falklands!!

This is supported by the card for Scorpion /Sabre 03 FD 66 that I translated - no mention of Op Granby but it was there with 14th / 20th Hussars!

All very interesting