Moving Katy

Tony B

Ah the joys of the forum! Just re reading the old straight V multigrade oil discussion, that was a fun night in the club house. :-D

Any way the year and a day probate is up, and apart from paerwork in the post, the care of Katy the WC54 is now mine.

So , she was started by me about 18 months ago and idled up for about an hour. No problems. The brake system was completly replaced but still has a leack at the right front wheel cylinder, I suspect a misfit seal washer and have a new set.

So the questions, I'll do an engine flush and oil change, and use 20/50! Halfords semi synthtic! I have no idea when any of the other oils were changed, as as she may have to be towed, or driven 88 miles back from Portsmouth to home I'd like to change the lot. So what recommendations for axles and gear box?

Also, anyone know of a transport firm around Portsmouth who may be able to run and her and possibly my Disco (Why drive if you can ride?:-D) up to the South East edge of Kent?

The provisonal plan is that I'll take her on the Jersey May 9th parade before bringing her to forign parts, and hope to se eyou with her at some of the later events.

I'd be reluctant to put any fresh oil with any detergent properties in an unknown engine. Of course you can tell how clean it is inside if you drain some out, but I've heard a lot of stories of people putting modern detergent oils in old engines and washing free huge quantities of sludge which promptly wreck the engine.

Get her home first, check the oil in the sump, and if you have any doubts about the cleanliness pump the sump for a darned good clean before you go with freash oil, and even then be prepared for a precautionary filter change after a few miles.

Gordon

Edited by Gordon_M

Ah the joys of the forum! Just re reading the old straight V multigrade oil discussion, that was a fun night in the club house. :-D....

Yes, and you can still see the stains on the carpet where Jack spilt Gritineye's pint of SAE 30 - I thought that was going to have serious consequences! :whistle:

Try Robert at Robert Froude Bulk Haulage, Dorchester. Triaxle Stepframe and 6 wheel beavertail. Tell him a dodgy bloke with a Bedford drilling rig gave you the nod :-D

Halfords classic 20/50 is good stuff - very reminiscent of Duckhams - and is very benign detergent wise. It is also good value.

This detergent thing though is a curious one. Yes, there are lots of stories, but has it actually happened to anyone here that putting clean, modern, albiet supposedly detergent-laden oil in an engine has done it real harm? I am always willing to learn but my own experience is quite the opposite.

When I had finished restoring my Dodge fire engine (it took a year or three on top of the dozen years that it had stood idle) I set off to drive it back from Hull to Cumbria. The engine on the Dodge by the way is a big version of the WC Dodge flathead 6. It went well but smoked like a chimney and had very very soon used up what I had thought was a generous reserve of spare engine oil, and although things were running well the smokescreen was continuing unabated. Faced with whatever was on offer in whatever roadside garage we had stopped at, big brother and I purchased more oil, this time Shell Helix SAE30 diesel oil (which I suspect has more than its fair share of detergent). In it went (and rather a lot of it at that) and before long I was caning the old Dodge (which always did have an indecent turn of speed) up over Stainmoor. A quick stop and check revealed no further oil consumption; there was no smoke and the engine was going like a bat out of hell. It still does for that matter and the only oil it uses leaks out of the timing covers (I really must get those sorted).

My guess is that the oil was just what was required, un-gumming things like piston rings and the like, which the "ordinary" stuff just couldn't manage in the same timescale.

I have also tried to remove gunge from inside sumps with all sorts of chemicals and tools, it is a far from easy job and I remain unconvinced that a little detergent in the oil would get results when me in my wellies plus the mother of all steam cleaners cant shift it.

But, as I say, I am here to learn so has anyone had personal experience of the new oil in old engines issue??

Thanks guys, nice to be able to talk through thoughts with knowledgable peopel. I reckon Gordon has the right idea, whilst it ain't broke don't fix it! As long as she gets home safe that's the first thing. Then the rest of you watch out! I'm going pot hunting this summer! :-D Apparently at one time she had an English registration SSY823 Chassis number is 81687890 I've e mailed Chrysler to se if they have a copy of the build card. Checking the records on Gordon's site seems to be a 1944 number which is late for 54. So oil for gearbox and axles? And what thoughts on adding Slick 50? I did that to a Land Rover a while back made a lot of diffrence.The Forte range is good stuff, I intend to flush everything out with that. Next concern is tyres, she has 3 cloverleaf and a Champion on at the moment. I have another Champion and a track on two more, but can anyone recommend a modern mud and snow type equivalent?

Edited by Tony B

Good to hear Tony.

It's been a long year.

You got anyone interested in Epron (just N of Caen) June 1-8?

Would love to mate! But money will go on geting Katy fit to go to Normandy! We always intended to do so, and will! Hows the Porpoise coming along?

I've been nosing around SAE90 oil suppliers. The Dodge takes just under 10 litres for a full change. The intresting thing is a US Quart is about the same as a Litre, so conversion is unexpectedly easy. Any way as I now have two of the bests, it looks as if Morris Lubricant is best choice. Their AG90 is £90.23 inc vat for 25 litres and free delivery. I'm going to use Forte engine flush, not the cheapest stuff but I've had very good results with their products. I intend to take a bottle of their gas treatment with me anyway. The fuel has been sitting about long enough even to tax a Dodges legendary ability to run on anything vaguley flammable. Even after draining off the old fuel the engine may well be sticky, the Forte stuff is great for unclogging bits. A couple of in line fuel filters may not come amiss thinking about it! :D

Tony, if you find your local stockist of Morris oils I think you may get a better price for the oil, I would also suggest their straight 30 grade for the engine but of course the final choice is yours.

Tony, if you find your local stockist of Morris oils I think you may get a better price for the oil, I would also suggest their straight 30 grade for the engine but of course the final choice is yours.

Not sure how the engines compare, however, I've just refilled the engine of my Bedford green goddess with Morris SAE 30 - a 1950s 6 cyl, 300 series petrol engine. Morris used to supply the emergency fire service green goddess fleet when they were in service as I understand, I emailed them and that's what they suggested for regular use (also suggesting engine storage oil for longer-term layup).

http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/scripts/prodview.asp?idcat=139&idProduct=165

Cheers, Duncan.

Thanks mate I'll try and find a local stockist. The straight 30 argument is very strong. So let's flesh it out. I don't know the service history of the engine. I do know the vehicle has been sitting about one way and another without a decent run for about 4 years. Hence why I'm wary of running her 88 miles from Portsmouth to home straight off. I know Carol's brother, who is the Enginnering director of a local coach firm I'll ask him if he knows what oil was put in. Given all this is a straight 30 oil likley to kinder on the engine than a 20/50? And if do change the oil before I run her out, and I should think it will need it, it's been in there sitting for God knows how long., would mixing a 30 with 20/50 have any detrimental effects? Also what about taking the plugs out, they will come out, I took them out a while back to check things and lubricated the threads, and dropping a bit of oil into the bores? I'm praying the engine hasn't sized, but it may well be a bit tight.

Edited by Tony B

There will be no problems mixing oil grades. Worth both taking the plugs out and giving them a clean (spin the motor over while they are out as the lack of compression will give the starter motor a fighting chance) and worth too cleaning the points and ensuring that there is not too much surface rust on the cam (or you will be without a spark on mile 87). Check the state of the radiator hoses and that the water pump has a squirt of grease (they can dry out). If the engine is really tight then taking the plate off the bottom of the bell housing and easing the engine over with a big screwdriver on the flywheel teeth is a very effective way for these engines.

I think that there is a sort of "less is more" approach to this - very much in line with Gordons previous post about oil. If it is going to let you down it will probably do it in a way that none of us could have imagined, so take your tools, relax, and enjoy the experience! That way the chances are that it will be a trouble free trip.

Pity its so far away - I could have run it through the workshop for you in half a day....

Gentelmen! Degsey, sit down. I bow to the bulk of superior knowledge. :D She is now insured so start booking ferries and all the other rigmaorle. I'll let you all know what's going on. Paul, distance is the problem, not near South Coast are you? I have friend's over there with a garage so may be able to work something. Fortunatley where she is stored is as well eqipped as a lot of garges.

Edited by Tony B

Right for those who remember the old XXXX advert 'I think I've overdone it with the sherry'. I have spare condenser, new fan belt, new radiator hoses, new dizzy cap, new spark plugs, new oil filters, new stright 30 oil. I've ordered an electronic ignition from Frank Jolley, as soon as I know wheter its a positive or negative earth. Bulbs to be scourced,Chrysler contacted for a copy of the build card. Fare fares down to reasonable price. The cheapest would be unacompanied, but the thought of all those hairy stevedores with thier hands all over katy......... :sweat:Anyone think of anything else?

If I was you I would drain the old stuff out and use it for washing parts, I reckon that's about all it will be fit for;)

Thats if it will come out of the tank. :D:D I have persuaded the ferry company to keep her on the lower deck. The ramp up the middle of the hold is *** steep and it would be embarrasing if she stopped in the middle. I'm going to take a couple of bottles of Forte advanced gas treatment with me, I've had good results with that stuf fin the past. As long as she gets her wheels ashore at Portsmouth, thats the main thing.

I'd love to bring her to A&E, but work getting in the way. The company has a transport contract for some flebitten thing called the Olympics. The plan is Bunker Bash, Combined Ops, and the Antique Roadshow. There is an episode due for filming at Chatham Historic Dockyard in September. As it is only about thirty miles down the road I'm going to try and get there. A friend has now aquired a Model T ambulance, if we can get a 101 and/or Series 2 or 3 ambulance, be a nice little tableaux