Post war registration numbers

No Signals

Question

I know I've seen info on the forum about this before but I can't find the result I'm after from a 'search'. So does anyone know of an online reference that I can use to find out which branch of service used 'YD' as their mid two letters on their reg. numbers? Cheers.

8 answers to this question

From information given on the MAFVA website (see http://www.mafva.net/other%20pages/VRNARMY2.doc ) it would appear that YD was used by the Army prior to 1950 to identify B vehicles vehicles first registered in 1949, together with earlier vehicles re-built during that year. Unfortunately no information is given on the specific vehicle types that used those letters.

I have just spoken to the great northern one aka Wally Dugan who has confirmed to me that the information above is incorrect, as he has all the post war registration no's and the contracts stating which vehicles were allocated the new type numbers starting YA through to FM which is possible the only copy left in existence or at least seen by him in the last 20 years, this one came to light approximately 3 years ago, and he is now currently waiting for 4 volumes containing war time census no's and the link to the post war numbers and in some cases the regiment who was using the vehicle up to the change over in 1949.

I have just spoken to the great northern one aka Wally Dugan who has confirmed to me that the information above is incorrect, as he has all the post war registration no's and the contracts stating which vehicles were allocated the new type numbers starting YA through to FM which is possible the only copy left in existence or at least seen by him in the last 20 years, this one came to light approximately 3 years ago, and he is now currently waiting for 4 volumes containing war time census no's and the link to the post war numbers and in some cases the regiment who was using the vehicle up to the change over in 1949.

So, says he with baited breath, did he tell you what YD were? I have a census number and a P/W reg which has YD as the middle two and as per Radiomike7 it is a bike. So I really am intrigued to find out what any documentation might say. Where are you Wally Dugan? :-)

I'm pretty sure that 'YD' was an M20 BSA sequence. Some of them were, at least. Have a talk to Lex, as per post #6 on this thread :-

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?30011-where-did-my-BSA-WDM20-serve-in-WW2

Nortons were allocated a lot of 'YB's and 'YC's but no 'YD's as far as I can tell.

Thanks, the info I have came from following the very same. Thanks Lex. The thing was I know I've read a thread somewhere, some time back, that discussed the post war registrations and there was some info about which regiments(?) had certain numbers/letters allocated to them. Rather than the reg numbers being allocated to a batch of vehicles, but it could be my memory is wrong on this. Which is why I'm asking. But of course it could have been on a different forum in which case it s a case of keep looking, eh?

Based on the odd 'Key Card' that I've been privy to, they don't show current unit at the time the system was incepted. Generally only the last before being struck off charge. It is not unknown to have disposals in Germany, Greece, and UK on the same page so I'd doubt a link to units. There appears to be some rough, vague correlation to the original contract numbers in that blocks are sometimes found together but even that can't really be called a system.

Now that would be an interesting read!!! Having been told i wont get back any further with my jeep, i was talking last weekend and we agreed it (history records) must be somewhere

Any advice welcome

Gerry