Items or parts that you should have bought and didn't and you still kick yourself

ferrettkitt

I suspect that we have all done this at some point in that we have been to a show and wandered round the stalls and seen something of interest and its in the back of you're mind that you should buy it and you didn't. Looking back be it days, weeks or years it still grates that you didn't buy it. What is it and when?

Mines Ferret related it had to be didn't it; Ferret rear mudguard on Marcus Glenns stand at Stoneleigh five years ago at £45 nos. It still grates it really does peanuts thinking about it now suspect I ran out of pennies.

I have been through this mental rollacoaster many times over the years and trust me when it comes to spares or items you need to gobble up and purchase what you can, when you can.

We are all in the same pickle and whilst the odd surprise stash surfaces. They are few and far between.

I know it boils down to finances....

In the past I know I have paid over the odds for some things and probably been sucked into spoof bids on eBay.

However now I find some years on that actually I did the right thing.

I haven't always got it right and in the early days did think another will come along :wow: I learnt that that if you need it you need to be there early and first and haggle the best you can, but don't pass the item up for small change or in the future you will reap the starting comments of frustration on this thread.

It is easier said than done with fuel and household bills going sky high, but my advice is do the best you can and be pro-active on the parts and spares scene.

We don't keep these vehicles and think short term so long term it is still an investment and what can be a little pricey now will be cheaper long term. Model and parts history is vital.

Honest sellers with realistic prices is always the best scenario though!!!!

I guess its all part of the fun and restoration...............

The best place to shop and ask is always your forums though as we all want to help each other preserve the vehicles.

I guess this is the place to admit my negligence of massive proportions.

Because Land Rover walked away, literally, from these shores in the early 1970s, all their trade names were unprotected.

I was but a matter of months late in trying to protect certain names associated with the product marque on these shores in the 1980s.

I could have been driving a new vehicle every 6 months if I had thought of it earlier.

Oh regrets

R

I once found a M3 lee tank that was cut down at track level in a local quarry.

It was to far gone to be rebuilt into a tank and had gone through a flood (killed the engine and gearbox)

but the tracks and idler wheels fitted were mint.

Told the manager of the quarry I wanted to purchase it (the whole tank) but at the time they didn't want to sell, fair enough left my number with them and headed off home.

A few months later I bumped into the manager and asked about the M3, turns out they had a clean up and got a scrappy in and he ended up taking it with a pile of other stuff.

I was so mad, I did like the look on the managers face after he told me what he got for it then me telling him I would have doubled it easily.

His and my loss

Marcus Glenn had some NOS Abbot Distribution Panels on the stand at Beltring. I thought about it and decided not to. A week later I decided I'd made the wrong decision and bought it anyway - this time including postage! :-(

Andy

I had the opportunity about 3 years ago to buy 2 cab side panels for my GMC 353, (Open cab) I did not need them at the time, and I paid 250.00 for the pair, he wanted 300.00, I still think that that was a good investment, they are like hens teeth to find.

Need a spare wheel carrier for my Militant.

After 5 years of looking, one appeared on Fleebay last summer, good price too, but I thought I could haggle a tenner off and made the seller an offer. He said he would think about it, but next day he sold it for the asking price

Need a spare wheel carrier for my Militant :banghead: