Barefoot Soldier

Snapper

Hot (ish) on the heels of Riichard Holmes' Dusty Warriors comes the autobiography of Johnson Beharry VC.. This book is a fine example of the ghostwriter's art, whereby the professional allows the subject to get his point over. Much of this book covers Johnson's early life in Grenada where poverty and close family ties went hand in hand. It makes for interesting reading and sets the scene for the cllimactic chapters in Iraq where he achieved immortality. In effect thiis book is not unlike the Pegasus Diaries and even the recent Mussolini saga books I reviewed, where so much leads up to the crucial events the reader is most interested in. I enjoyed Beharry's descriptions of his comrades and army experiences and there is no doubt in my mind that he fully deserved his VC. I am quite sure that having a black immigrant hero from the Iraq mess was a gift from heaven for the army, and the Blair administration even moreso - but Johnson Beharry VC is a 100% hero. Cherish him.

• 8 months later...

I agree. His is almost a classic immigrants story. Whether he earned the right to stay here by having half his head shot off is a moot point. Compare his story to the shelf-load of footballer biographies clogging the shelves. Kicked ball - earned a million. Kicked a ball - earned another million. Had relations with a model. Kicked model. Earned a million. Bought a Bentley....and so on. Not to criticise soccer players specifically. They takes their chances like the rest of us and what they do matters to an awful lot of people. Ian Porterfield, who died this week; scored a goal that shook the football world in 1973. God bless him. Real men come in different guises. Mr Beharry's immortality may appear more significant. But show his picture to some people and they'll ask you who he plays for. Whether 'What Johnson Did Next' merits a rewrite five years hence is another matter (he'll always be a star in my book). Perhaps he needs to sign for Southend United.

MB

I went to the Book signing of 'Barefoot Soldier' at Beltring and saw this man. I bought a copy of his book and here he is signing it. I haven't read the book yet, but I did hear his story directly from him. One of the highlights of the War & Peace show this year for me.

width=600 height=800http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/woa2/P7210025.jpg[/img]

• 2 months later...

I disagree - his life and reason for coming to Britain are a huge part of the story of how he won the VC. His injuries will probably prohibit him doing any more ops - at least on the front line - so I think that the story stops at exactly the right time.

Couldn't agree more, with the above.

A Modern Day (Decorated) HERO.

Brave as he maybe, he has not lived enough to write an autobiography yet.

Mark I'm afraid I disagree. Off the top of my head I can think of several young authors who wrote their own biographies while still in their 20's,several of whom would not live to write their story later,take W/C Guy Gibson to name just one.

Matt.

Gibson is the classic example of someone who had packed a lot into his tender years. Hard to believe he was dead at just 26. Obviously there was a huge machine behind the book and Gibson may have had help from Roald Dahl, who was with him on the Nth American tour, where it was written. Had he survived he would have carried on pushing and achieving and making enemies, He was that sort of man. The thought of him as an MP

seems incredible - but he just had lots of get up and go. Being liked wasn't essential. I wish he had survived, because I imagine he would have eclipsed many of the publicity magnet heroes who came home to tell the tale and been a good story teller. It is also interesting to compare him to the likes of Leonard Cheshire, who used his fame for so much good but never lost faith in his wartime role, achievements or contemporaries.

Beharry just strikes me as the embodiment of good old fashioned dignity. He is a 100% hero and should be a role model to the young. How he got his fame is not the point. How he lives with it, is.

Beharry just strikes me as the embodiment of good old fashioned dignity. He is a 100% hero and should be a role model to the young. How he got his fame is not the point. How he lives with it, is.

Very Wise words. From what we see of the guy, he DOES seem to have one heck of a lot of humility, for one, so young:

For a role model, I don't think there is any one else to equal him; (that is, with in the public eye.)