White Plimsolls.

Scotch Harry

On the basis of the NSN these Shoes, gymnasium seems to point to Navy only. Although there is a design spec from the Defence Clothing & Textiles Authority, this is of course tri-service & the only service mentioned is MOD(NAVY)

In the summer my daily footwear is a pair of Shoes, training, fitness MT002 these are Army in grey/green & more substantial.

In the 1950s Clothing Regulations under Physical Training Instructors there are Shoes, canvas, rubber sole CD 0610-28 but there is no indication as to their colour.

In 1974 was issued white ones and black ones, then we had to blacken and bull the white ones. Others were issued brown ones. No reason except what was in the store at time and sizes. Still have them on my kit issue list (formerly AF 1157) and when i finally demob will hand them in with the trousers, lightweight, shirts, wooly pully, gloves knitted, vests and drawers cellular, green long johns, Parasmock etc

How come I end up with this adsite selling things etc on my posts I never added anything or agreed to this, help have I been hacked???

It's moved! I made two posts earlier & advert things clung on my posts. But I've just looked at my earlier post on this thread & it has gawn. So I think it has latched onto you Gary as a later poster.

I imagine it likes to target latest posts, so maybe when I post this it will draw the fire from you Gary. So I don't know if one of these things lives on each thread looking for the latest post or whether there are several.

Anyway here goes I'll see if it targets this post.

I see there is a thing sat on the last post of all the threads I've looked at. So serve you right PZN for being the last poster. Doooh!

PS Well you had uniform dating on yours, now it on me its mutated into geometry.

PPS Its gawn, I went to check on the ends of other threads, came back here & a different one has attached itself. I feel about as confused as a dog chasing a spot from a laser beam. Time to leave & get on with something useful I think.

Edited by fv1609

I had white pumps (as we used to call them) issued to me in 1986 Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Armoured Corp in Bovington Camp.

As I recall, we used to have PT sessions in the muddy woods and then be expected to have them spotless by locker parade. I seem to remember we used some form of white paint, much like a large tin of tippex to get them clean.

Played havoc with the rest of our kit in the locker as the pumps kept leaving white speckles all over the place. My locker ended up outside after one inspection and we were on the 1st floor.

Markheliops

I had white pumps (as we used to call them) issued to me in 1986 Junior Leaders Regiment Royal Armoured Corp in Bovington Camp.

Markheliops

We also had them in the Army Apprentices College in 1989. Like Mark said, they were expected to be spotless at all times, especially so before a PT lesson (along with your highly starched red PT vest and blue shorts).

The white pumps were RAF issue as well to all recruits in the early 80s.......along with 2 pairs of the dark-blue "shorts, voluminous, PT" (that were anything but short), plus 1 white and 1 light blue T-shirt.........

PTIs took a perverse delight in ensuring that our almost daily PT sessions went through tons of mud, with a full kit inspection a couple of hours later, which usually meant missing lunch (not as unfortunate as it may sound considering the piss-poor food) to get everything clean and dry.......

Following basic, they were the first thing slung in a skip.....soon followed by the shorts.....:-\

• 1 month later...

Some of the tan-colour 40s and 50s issue Army pumps survived on issue until the 70s.........

I suspect the RAF blue-grey variety are 1950s to 1960s, running parallel with the tan Army pattern......with stocks surviving on issue into the 70s.......by the 80s RAF PT pumps were predominantly white......I can recall scrubbing and whitening the buggers with a vengeance.....>:(