"White" Laning around Osmotherly and Helmsley

Jessie The Jeep

A few hardy ( looney ) souls in the Durham and Tees Valley area decided this Sunday would make a good day out to do some 'green laning' around the hills south of Teesside. This was before the snow was forecast. With the sudden snow fall, the good day out became an excellent day out. We had two Landies, an M38A1 and a small Dodge truck.

At one point, we lost the last two vehicles in the convoy and pulled over to wait. After 15 minutes, we turned around and went back down the hill to find them stuck behind some numbties in little two wheel drive cars. They chose a day when the moors and roads were covered in snow to take the dogs for a walk in the hills, and promptly got their cars stuck blocking the bank.

Fortunately we had tow ropes and managed to rescue all but one, who's car had a screw in towing eye, but no obvious mounting point for the eye to screw into on the front of the car. He also didn't have the car's manual to tell us which plastic panel to pull out to find the towing eye socket! So he got left behind. Our four vehicles had a grand day out, and while not covering a huge mileage ( around 40~50 ), we were out most of the day.

snow1.jpg

snow2.jpg

snow3.jpg

snow4.jpg

snow5.jpg

snow6.jpg

snow7.jpg

snow8.jpg

snow9.jpg

snow10.jpg

snow11.jpg

snow12.jpg

Nice day for a drive (looks like a WC 13 -21 ??) ...took the jeep out for a drive in the snow just north of the M25 /potters bar ..

should have had it on the M25 the night before when the Numbties came to town and gave up trying to drive in the snow :shocked:.. and decided to just park up and give in ...:banghead::banghead:

Pix of my day out with some friends http://www.flickr.com/photos/willysmbdigibeta/

• 2 weeks later...
Steve,

If you are interested in more local laning see the attached.....

Not really, I can't afford to go out just to burn petrol; that's why I was in a friends M38A1, rather than my Jeep in these pictures and video. Perhaps if someone drops the fuel prices to a pound a litre. Do you remember the days when we were all horrified when it got over a pound? My dad keeps reminding me when you could get 5 gallons to a pound!!

I am 75, when I was 17 I was paying 3 shillings and 6 pence per gallon ( 17.5 pence )....... most family cars 10 to 12 HP would return about 30 miles per gallon, the family car today can do 50 - 60 miles per gallon, so comparisons are slightly distorted. What we did not have were all these expenses that go with maintaining a modern car, M-o-Ts, expensive insurance ( £7.00 a year) when I was 17. and lots of associated costs, speeding fines etc. Motoring today is very expensive, and getting more so.