Dateing AEC Matadors

Great War truck

I'm sure I found a Matador locally which was in very good order, and when I enquired about it the man-that-knows said it was one of a batch made for the RAF in the 1950's ( well post-war, basically )

Anyone know anything about that batch?

Thanks guys. Although the Matador is one of my favourite modern lorries, these belong to Scott and i have to verify them for registration purposes. I am hopeing that someone has a list of chassis numbers which we could compare it to date them. However, i understand from Scott that one plate is missing which makes it a little problematical. Does Steve Ricahrds book have all the chassis numbers in it or just the post war ones?

Thanks

Tim

The book has a good list of chassis numbers, going right back. I think it was supplied by John Harrington, the AEC Society historian. John seems to know it of the history of some of them too, he told me where mine had served in civilian life.

Mine has the chassis number stamped into the chassis frame, just underneath the brass plate - it only showed up when the paint was cleaned off the chassis in that area. A fair number of AECs have the number stamped in the same place - just behind the front near side spring mount.

Nick

John Harrington is most knowledgeable and in my experience very helpful on military AEC's I am sure he will have lists of the serial numbers and the dates of the contracts they were supplied under. If firm dating evidence is required it was possible to obtain a copy of the delivery note for some if not all Matadors from the British Commercial Vehicle Museum archives, but there is/was a charge for this.

Alan

Number is usually stamped into chassis as mentioned by N/S rear spring hanger on front spring if that makes sense, just by back of cab , this is also the place they usually break when used in timber (if front end lifted off ground too often/too aggressively, cracks just behind cab where channels for crane structure usually end) and often a big plate is welded over the top....

As a rough guide one of mine is around the 1000 mark and is apparently late 1940, the other is around the 10,000 mark and would be around 1945. Very early ones had the flatter roof and fuller mudgaurds on the front (although any of this could have changed by now!) and the earlier ones seemed to have just 2 winch rollers at the front, later ones having 4 (don't know when this changed over). Other differences include twin air tanks or one long one and I think the earlier ones have AEC cast into rear hub caps, this was then deleted. Im sure the list goes on but you get the idea. Probably best to take a bunch of pictures and get someone informed to take a look if there is any uncertainty.

Regards

Ed