"Nose art" on pilots jackets

mat777

I am currently the proud owner of a dark wool shearling jacket (curiously it is the RAF wool trimmed cuffs/waist style not USAF elasticated cuffs/waist style but has an american flag label in the back of it), that I wear every day round uni in this bloody freezing weather.

I have seen a few people in the past at airshows and the like with pilots jackets that have nose art painted or printed on the back of them, and this quite took my fancy. The problem is, and I put this question to you gents... would I look a massive prat walking round normally with something like the Memphis Belle's nose art on my back?

I am currently the proud owner of a dark wool shearling jacket (curiously it is the RAF wool trimmed cuffs/waist style not USAF elasticated cuffs/waist style but has an american flag label in the back of it), that I wear every day round uni in this bloody freezing weather.

I have seen a few people in the past at airshows and the like with pilots jackets that have nose art painted or printed on the back of them, and this quite took my fancy. The problem is, and I put this question to you gents... would I look a massive prat walking round normally with something like the Memphis Belle's nose art on my back?

Not a chance! I think they look very smart and very unique. Makes one stand out from the crowd. There was a dude in town the other day with an A2 on with nose art....of course we stood and yacked for about an hour!

Go for it, Matt! At the very least it brightens up what can be quite a dull jacket. Flight jacket art is a fascinating subject, you can either faithfully copy an original design or make up something generic - whatever takes your fancy.

If you study period jackets and WW2 era pin-up art, you'll soon get an eye for 'period' faces and poses - there are plenty of modern examples which really don't look quite right.

May I suggest that you do the appropriate research if copying an original, so that you will be able to answer the inevitable torrent of qusetions you'll receive from curious people whenever you wear it :laugh:

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I have a million and one designs floating round my head right now!

My current thought is - "Liberty Belle", but in the font of the movie-style Memphis Belle, with LB's pinup girl leaning on a bomb instead of a bell. There may possibly be a little yellow bomb tally underneath as well.

However, a few things bug me - firstly, my shearling jacket was bleedin' expensive and I am still not 100% sold on the idea of what it would look like afterwards. Secondly, it is one of the later types made of several small panels with big seams down the back, so printing would be awkward.

I am now thus thinking along the lines of buying a cheap secondhand A2-style jacket to replace the tatty and too-small similar brown faux leather one I currently wear in slightly warmer weather, and doing the art on that.

I have yet to find somewhere that does this sort of design/printing in the UK though... I suppose my other option is to lean on student friends that do graphic design and art!

cheers, Matt

The A-2 sounds a better bet for sure. Painting with acrylics is a good way to go - it will look better than printing and will weather nicely with the jacket.

If the quality below is in line with your ideas, there happens to be a very talented young lady only a few miles away from your lecture rooms who I'm sure would do your ideas justice, and she may be able to supply a nice quality repro A-2 as well. :) I can forward contact details if you wish.

Home Run A2.jpg

Sorry to hear that Steve, but judging by your sig you do certainly have a lot of brilliant projects on the go!

Half an hour or so on photoshop had the LB's pinup suitably altered with the bomb from Thumper:

LibertyBelle.jpg

and an extra 10 minutes had the design finalised. I'm not happy with the font, or the colour and design of the bombs, but the movie Memphis Belle script is no available as a font, and by this time I was fed up of scouring the internet for the correct little yellow bombs:

LibertyBelle3.jpg

Before I go ahead contacting artists, my first job is to scour ebay and buy a suitably cheap used but not too shabby A2 (or A2-style repro). I will probably be looking at something around the £40 mark - it doesnt have to be a genuine one or too thick and warm.

Hi Dave,

I have seen this on ebay:

Genuine leather, by an American make, looks as near as dammit as far as I can tell to an A2, for £30, would that make a good base jacket? As for the artwork, I would definitely get it done by a pro... my painting skills are shocking!

As for the subtlety aspect... anyone who knows me knows I am not a subtle person, so I am not too worried about standing out :D

jkt.JPG

Edited by mat777

Fair enough Dave, i dont know much about the exact details of the A2's. How does that one differ?

As a poor student I would love to get a proper A2 but you mention £600, my budget is closer to £60! One day.....

I suppose it wouldnt bother me much as if I cant tell the difference at first glance, then neither I suppose will most other people, and it is indeed an experiment until the day I have a job and lotsadosh to get a proper one...

regards,

matt

Just bite the bullet and do it yourself!

I did mine with with enamel paints, on a sheepskin jacket you get a nice aged look as the paint tends to soak in. On an A2 style it looks shiny and new (but then they were in the 40's!). I'm expecting the paint on the A2 I did for a friends son to crack after a while, but that'll look good too I reckon.

If you're not an artist, cartoon characters are easier to do than pin-ups as they tend to be just big solid blocks of colour that don't require complicated shading - here's some piccies....

I did this one for a friend - the picture was taken before it was finished. This is a cheap B3 style with a leather(ish) outer and a synthetic fleece inner. I know Bugs isn't exactly as he appeared in the 40's but the customer gets what the customer asks for!

IMG_0267.jpg

This ones my B3. Proper sheepskin, albeit it a modern copy. The design is based I think on a picture of a Mitchell bomber that I saw, although I can't find it now. I wanted this to be a transport pilots plane, so no bombs, just lots of storage in a Puffin!

IMG_0212.jpg

This one was for my mates son's birthday and also the first that I attempted. I didn't want to do some scantilly clad young lady on a 9 yr olds jacket which is what started me off on the cartoons. This is an A2 style, you can see how shiny the paint has stayed. Bugs is more 40's here (yellow gloves, no buck teeth)

IMG_0202.jpg

The other thing is, if you're not copying an original, whose to say if it's right or not? As long as you like it then it's good enough. Do bear in mind that not all the cartoon characters were around during the war, and those that were often looked different to the way they do now. Googling squadron patches should give you some ideas - as with anything, mark up twice and paint once!

I'm still not good at doing hands but I'm getting there....

Also, the softer the leather, the more readily the artwork is to cracking, which can age the jacket quickly giving a nicer used look. However, very soft leather can result in much of the art coming away in time, and touch ups necessary. I've used both enamels and leather dye. The enamels paint and blend better, but crack more. The dye doesn't blend well, lasts longer, but some colours such as white or yellow are very transparent, needing many more layers!

The design is based I think on a picture of a Mitchell bomber that I saw, although I can't find it now. I wanted this to be a transport pilots plane, so no bombs, just lots of storage in a Puffin!

Found it - it was on a C-47, not a Mitchell and it's a Pelican not a Puffin. Apart from that I was pretty close:n00b:

Google 'The potent pelican' for the original....

Thanks for the advice guys. I would definietly get it done by a pro still, I just dont trust my painting abilities.

The comments on cracking paint are interesting, all the old jackets ive seen are faded an worn but never cracked - did they manage to get the paint to soak in in some way?

I have joined the vintage leather jacket forum now so I shall see if they have any suitable attire going cheap!

Hi N.O.S,

I did read your recommendation but it depends how much she can supply the jackets for (and I assume they are new ones?) - I was looking to find a secondhand one on the jacket forum purely to keep the costs down

thanks,

Matt

I would be looking at £80-90 max for the jacket, and would then be prepared to brace myself and pay however much it costs for the artwork. I know this severely limits my available options with the choice of jackets, but being a student I have to look good on a budget! :D

thanks,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Well, a massive thanks to N.O.S. and his contact Paul - I now have a fantastic genuine Cooper A2, as-issued spec.

I'm now working on sorting the artwork, and spent a couple of hours on photoshop earlier turning the rough draft into a finalised version to discuss with the artist. Having seen some of her work at Paul's I was extremely impressed and I am sure she will more than do justice to my concept :)

libertybellefull.jpg

Edited by mat777