"Nose art" on pilots jackets

mat777

A small point, but I do wonder about the originality of the girl in the Liberty Belle artwork. Is she the same original wartime girl, or was this artwork recreated for the restored Liberty Belle?

Difficult to be specific, but there's something about the original wartime pinups which give a distinct period feel, which I find a bit lacking in Miss Belle.

(It's just that I'm sure I met her in Roxy's nightclub in Leeds in 1991 :-D. )

Sorry, I'm not trying to be picky, artwork is very much personal taste. The main point is it's your jacket and your artwork - anyone else's view is theirs alone and irrelevant. The important thing is that you should be happy with it :-)

Edited by N.O.S.

A small point, but I do wonder about the originality of the girl in the Liberty Belle artwork. Is she the same original wartime girl, or was this artwork recreated for the restored Liberty Belle?

Difficult to be specific, but there's something about the original wartime pinups which give a distinct period feel, which I find a bit lacking in Miss Belle.

(It's just that I'm sure I met her in Roxy's nightclub in Leeds in 1991 :-D. )

Sorry, I'm not trying to be picky, artwork is very much personal taste. The main point is it's your jacket and your artwork - anyone else's view is theirs alone and irrelevant. The important thing is that you should be happy with it :-)

The pinup was indeed pinched from the preserved Belle that was so sadly recently destroyed (attached image).

Having sifted through hundreds of different pinup art pictures on google, this one was my favourite. It took me absolutely ages to find a 2d artwork instead of just a picture of the plane! I realise it doesnt look quite so authentic as some others but I like her - and she reminds me of a girl from my uni halls last year :blush:

The artwork is altered with the bomb from the nose art of "Thumper" and the squadron and group markings are from the wartime Liberty Belle that flew daylight raids from England.

LB_hill_looksbest970.jpg