So that was what was wrong

Topdog

I tried to start the 432 last week and although the fuel pump was priming, the starter circuit was completely dead. I charged the batteries and still nothing.

It was cured by tightening EVERY electrical plug from all the junction boxes and panels. It may be the cold weather is shrinking metal and causing rubber plug waterproofing to contract but I was able to get another quarter turn on almost all of them and problem now sorted.

Make sure your batteries do not freeze folks and put plenty of antifreeze in the cooling systems.

Dave

Don't nessacarily need to freeze. A lead-acid battery uses a chemical reaction to create current. Temprature is one the most important factors in the effeciency of a chemical reaction. Freezing point for a completly flat battery is about -5-6 centigrade as opposed to about -67 c for a full charge. All sorts of factors will affect a batteries low tempratue crank performance though. Most figures stated by manufacturers use a standard temprature, and I can't rememeber if it is 19 0r 21 degrees C