MW Parts Scam ALERT!!

44GPW

Guys,

Someone tried a very poor Scam attempt on me following my ad in the classifieds "Wants" section on this forum.

He claimed to be "Parting Out" a Bedford MW and had all the parts i required. He used words like "Cell phone" "Parting out" and wanted payment via Western Union or Moneygram, yet claims he is based in London?? He could not give me a photo of the parts, only the Bedford they were "parting out" which happened to be one i had seen being restored on this forum (see below).

Anyway, he goes by the name of Jonathan Clayton.

How do i report this to the correct authorties?

scamf.jpg

By armyspecial at 2012-01-31

Edited by 44GPW

I was asked to check out an individual such as this for a US friend of mine - he claimed to be parting out a 1920s Mack. The address was in Blackpool but the phone line went through to nigeria. It is known as an 0702 scam and a link worth reading is here: http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/printing_machine.htm

There is a fraud unit that you can (and should) report this to via your local force - have a look on their website. I reported the above mentioned incident and they were pretty helpful.

Guys,

Someone tried a very poor Scam attempt on me following my ad in the classifieds "Wants" section on this forum.

That is why you should Never put you contact details on the open Forum. We carry out checks on every member to make sure no Scammers/Spammers get in, only members can contact another member.

I have editted your post & removed your contact details.

Hello,

This is quite a common scam. Replying to wanted ads for rare parts.

The picture is from caruthers restoration thread on this forum!!! Would that mean this scammer is a member on here?

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?11210-Bedford-MW-to-Normandy-(via-N-Africa!)

john

The photo is hosted on Photobucket so Non members can view it, only members can veiw attached photos, those photo hosting sites are visable to everyone.

As said we go to great lengths to keep the scammers & spammers out, putting contact details on the forum (Any Forum) is not safe. If the person contacted via PM then obviously he's a member, if by email I doubt it. If anyone wants me to check an email address from a possible scammer to see if it's registered on thge forum then let me know.