Charity hunts for tank project cash

Smithy

Well, I live in Ashford and have known that tank for 50 years. A few years back, I viewed the inside with a friend who was pricing up a quote to rebuild the rear of the hull to its correct configuation. It is now a listed / historic monument in the eyes of the council so I understand, and it is also a war memorial to the Royal Tank Regt. There is no floor to the hull, it was cut out to intall an electricity sub-station during the Twenties, so engine, tranmission is gone. Rust has built up in the hull putting stress through the hull plates and cracking them. While working at the nearby REME workshops in the Seventies, I know they were asked to survey it for moving due to road improvements, due to its weak structure, the idea was abandoned, it has stood on the same spot since 1919. In my opinion it should be left alone, because to put it back to running order would be sacrilege, so much would have to be replaced and doctored that it will end up far from original. Better these people build a replica.

Well, I live in Ashford and have known that tank for 50 years. A few years back, I viewed the inside with a friend who was pricing up a quote to rebuild the rear of the hull to its correct configuation. It is now a listed / historic monument in the eyes of the council so I understand, and it is also a war memorial to the Royal Tank Regt. There is no floor to the hull, it was cut out to intall an electricity sub-station during the Twenties, so engine, tranmission is gone. Rust has built up in the hull putting stress through the hull plates and cracking them. While working at the nearby REME workshops in the Seventies, I know they were asked to survey it for moving due to road improvements, due to its weak structure, the idea was abandoned, it has stood on the same spot since 1919. In my opinion it should be left alone, because to put it back to running order would be sacrilege, so much would have to be replaced and doctored that it will end up far from original. Better these people build a replica.

Richard

I agree wholeheartedly - they should spend the money conserving the tank where it is, build a replica and they would still have loads left over..

A good replica would be perfectly suitable for the intended purpose, which i also think is a very worthy thing to do...

Timbo

shame more were never saved .The blackpool tank bank was scrapped as the council didnt want it on display/people climbing on it and getting hurt......http://toolbar.inbox.com/xfb_redir.aspx?CP=SHsw2K7WLgjUuegEJw7zdrPiNhRSehPTCdcg83PRiIPfTp6krbZCStt0VoowrruWOCYY0BexPtjxBVeUxJrc8_BwSiSf_FpobT9dl8HdR3UXQo8d9t1_3R-cPPtOKCiLt16UC8yvKruj14tAexDVY8omOs97W-VxWmy14uYGZgmCns5KVmUkZPQrjczhi0MnL-HBnBWpaE_WeHCyiTeA0OFmoehU9xwW7cGTM7UsDEr3jgrk3hZq_THfOiY2WJeBgij-rlnQQTWcmi8jxgFWhnzAu2rsno73I0NcE8TDB3Bs4MwJ8fAZcR0Xq5-Q9IsSUI1Y6yn81GYNIkzvb7HhfRFaMaCjkpsNuND9tW8m1xYKWl5JBzNmE3ULGbsT0JQXaiq2_IU2Rh_CAVLPYIuzwh1-2GB_odqNQD03oLCqudqtGabh97HDDLxSRatooAv4D16TNa-wK70CtBXDW2Q5n_Nymafslx6Tc8_D7B-YgQu7f3KeB1c4ETIR1RbKkg41qk5iLlp5LJCJKuDAaOdCeo-l2exprRFr8gEJ3uUHtI2YM5j8sYddFknt4lfVARB-4pZy4NoKVtls52vfMhmXvKPJkt45VRAx_Cvua59IPg4RFfcyzPaeuz92VYe4o2ZACJjcTeTsCDlYP7_iuPn7LhD4dIcAwADuOH5tPpbJ1AhpGh3Js_O6FPnUmbBSZsMfBkdKOFYTLwZBAlCyP-i8Qw4vawGICgpy0nnrWxiLuz-Z59ScQkkDLewhJ8w829CHiAFI@

Julian_(tank).jpg

Rust has built up in the hull putting stress through the hull plates and cracking them.

so much would have to be replaced and doctored that it will end up far from original.

But they are going to anneal the plates and convert them back to mild steel........:rolleyes:

As they seem to have mastered alchemy, fundraising should be a doddle!

But they are going to anneal the plates and convert them back to mild steel........:rolleyes:

As they seem to have mastered alchemy, fundraising should be a doddle!

Adrian,

I suspect a dreamer being involved. Having known this tank for so long, I can say it would have to be de-rivetted, in order to deal with the build up of rust trapped which has over the years caused a lot of stress cracks. Seeing as though the news item on the link was back in 2010 and nothing has come up in the local paper, etc, I suspect this idea is dead and buried ... hopefully. Since the council built a shelter over the tank at least it keeps the rain of it now.

Seeing as though the news item on the link was back in 2010 and nothing has come up in the local paper, etc, I suspect this idea is dead and buried ... hopefully. Since the council built a shelter over the tank at least it keeps the rain of it now.

Didn't notice that Richard, as you say seems as its now 18 months down the line perhaps the idea has been dropped.

Scott

Some time back there was a thread on the construction of a replica WW1 tank. I am not sure of the location I think it was about central Europe.

Does anyone know of progress on this project?

Thanks

Doug :cheesy: