Welbike

Davey089

I would estimate survival figures worldwide of approximately between 200 - 300..........a fair few remain in places such as India and the Middle East, not all complete, restored or appreciated for what they actually are......I have a photo somewhere showing several frames and part-complete Welbikes taken in India about 12 years ago now....none were restored and they were lying amongst various other derelict relics of the British motorcycle industry......

Not many then !

I have a second contract Welbike ,it was bought from a steel foundry in Scunthorpe 1947 by a local garage owner for £1.00 for his children to play on , his children out grew it and it was then "dumped" in the back of the garage until 1999 when the person I bought it off came across it.

I have a couple of small jobs to make it "road worthy" , steering and forks need sorting , tyre , clutch lever and a new coil , but I'll give it a full strip down and rebuild while I'm on , going down to Welbike UK next week to have a tour of the workshop and collect all the steering parts:)

Edited by Davey089

• 1 year later...

I have a contact in America that says many where exported over there! some as parade bikes or even circus clown bikes!!! Many of these are in bright colours, blue, red, yellow etc!

He's looking for a mini to restore if anyone has any info for the New York area.

I'm looking for a Welbike for a 're enactment I'm doing if anyone can help. incomplete or abandoned project.

Yes the unused contract of Welbikes were sold of to a US department store. (they weren't legal on UK highways). Subsequently quite a few were bought up by a US religious group and painted in blue with chrome for parades.... Mine is a MK1....But not for sale.

Lex has a website and register here. http://www.welbike.net/

Ron

Edited by Ron

Hi Ron

I've seen that site and had a good look. There's another guy in the US who has done a register and list of one's sold that he knows of. Quite a few found their way to New Zealand and Australia (where my sis lives, have to get her to have a look about the net there!!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, sadly I do not know how to update my site, have to change it to something I can work with!

Have about 60 Welbikes in my register, and keep adding to it! very handy if you don't know the C number etc.

People have emailed me recently about some Welbikes for sale in the US, that are offered by scammers, they use pictures stolen from my posts about them!

So when in doubt, email me to ask, I am not buying anymore of them, so no competition from me, and always ask the seller for frame and engine numbers.

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike
spelling