Diamond T Hercules RXC Engine

MICHAEL01

Hi All

Im doing a nut and bolt restoration on a Diamond T 969 soft top wrecker, and need help with an engine noise.

The engine runs absolutley fine, with plenty of power and no starting issues. On start up from cold i have a tick that sounds like a very slight nock in the top end. I have checked the valve clearences and also the end float on the camshaft ETC, these seem all fine. I have taken the heads of the engine and this has not shown any problems. upon close examination l have found that the crank has far more end float than is recommended in the manual, .004-.006.

The manual l have on the engine seems very basic compared to other military vehicle engines i have restored using a TM manual.

If any of you military guys can help me, or recommend the best rebuild manual l would appreciate your help.

Cheers Michael

Torbay, Devon

Hi,

There's a manual on Hercules engines - TM9-1832A - which covers a range of engines including the RXC. It has a fair amount of info on 'fits and tolerances'. I have a copy here. Feel free to post or PM if there's anything specific you want to know.

Just for info, this TM covers Hercules models JX, HX, RX and WXL.

Out of interest, who have you used for engine parts?

Regards - MG

Hi TootallMike

Thanks for the help with the manual, the manual which you mention is the one that lve got, Im used to jeep manuals which are nice and simple so was hoping there was one similar for the hercules engine.:red: So far parts wise Jaap rietfald has been good, ls there anyone else you can recommend for spares please?

Cheers Michael

Hi Michaelo1

I am also in the middle of restoring 969A open cab, my engine has a slight knock when she is cold but runs fine.

Not too concerned, i don't intend to do big mileage ( Not at 3 mpg ) I live in north Wales its all hills if you know

what i mean.

Parts, i struggle to sauces bits when i need things, Mr Rietfald seems to have the largest stock of DT parts in

Europe as far as i know, LWD parts Holland ( Dirk Leegwater ) has some stuff if you look on his web site and

Army Cars Holland have one or two things.

Jim Clark Allied Forces did have some proper silencers for 969 Martin his partner is also restoring a 969A.

Hope that's some help let me know if you are stuck for bits i might be able to help.

Would be nice to see some pic's.

Regards Mal

Michael, is it 0.004" - 0.006" that's recommended, and how much more float have you got? I'd be concerned about excessive endfloat on a crank as it'll move every time you declutch - I had a vehicle that punched the centre out of the clutch as a result.

Having said that whether it's the cause of the tick I couldn't say, diagnosing noises is difficult without hearing them!

Hi all

Thanks for the help, Diamond T at the moment is totally stripped and hopefully this week will be glass blasted, lm making an engine craddle up so hopefully we can get the sump off and have a visual look. I will try and get some pics up on here soon and let you guys know what our findings are.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you check the end play on the cam and idler shafts, an engine knock at idling speeds will indicate too much end play. The adjustment is by threaded plugs in the gear cover. My 968 made a loud clunk when the engine stopped, it was the idler gear which had worn very loose on its shaft.

• 2 weeks later...
Make sure you check the end play on the cam and idler shafts, an engine knock at idling speeds will indicate too much end play. The adjustment is by threaded plugs in the gear cover. My 968 made a loud clunk when the engine stopped, it was the idler gear which had worn very loose on its shaft.

Hi Antony

Thanks for the input, today l had a look at the idler gear on my engine and l have way too much excessive side ways play, any idea where l can get a new bushing for the housing, also the fibre plugs are pretty munched on the end so while l have got the engine out lm not chancing anything that is worn.

cheers Michael

Hello Michael,

I don't know where you can get a bush for your idler gear shaft, perhaps Jaap Rietvelt may have one, or one of the dealers in Hercules Engines in the US. Mine didn't need the bush replacing, the idler gear was very worn on the shaft, so I built it up with mig weld, and had it machined oversize and then the idler gear was bored out to a tight fit. The end play adjustment seems to get overlooked on these engines hence this problem. I do know of one which actually snapped the shaft.

Anyway, good luck,

Tony.