Do you have a Scrap Lightweight Land Rover chassis? Plse help restore ex 3 CDO Lwt.

airmobile

Do you have a scrap chassis, that you have finished with please?

I am restoring to original military condition 84 KA 14, an ex 3 CDO BDE 12v s3 lwt, formerly based at the Commando Training Centre.

This very sound vehicle has been modified to fit a 19j turbo diesel in the past and the battery tray mounts were cut from the chassis legs. I wish to restore an original spec 2.25 petrol engine and battery/air filter mounts. Would anyone, please be so kind as to offer me some BATTERY TRAY MOUNTS off a scrap chassis? I will certainly arrange postage, costs etc.

I have all the other parts to complete this worthy restoration, so any assistance with this final item would be most gratefully appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Hi, welcome! What part of the world do you live? Removed a few more parts from a scrap Airportable couple of weeks back in a local breakers yard. Did not have time to remove battery tray etc., legs may be the ones you want. If Midlands area PM me if you want the location to check it is still there. Love to see pics. of your work. See my A/P restoration project, New chassis up.

Andy.

What is special about a Lightweight 12 volt battery platform ? It is the same platform as on a 12 volt civvy Land Rover - measure one up & fabricate.

All bits easily made from 3mm / 1/8" plate , the struts are easily folded.

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1283.jpg

A good modification is to notch out the front centre with a 3/8" or 1/2" dia. rat-tail file , this is so you can use the later plastic acid spillage tray that has a stem & plastic pipe to get any spillage below the chassis

Edited by ruxy
speling

I have just removed a 12v GS battery tray from my replacement chassis to fix the oil bath support tray as mine is an FFR. If you pay for the postage it's yours.It almost complete except for where I cut it off. Top tray and the splayed tapered leg are all there though. As Ruxy states you can easily fab up the other legs required etc from plate.Cheers

IMAG1159.jpg

IMAG1158.jpg

Edited by Rover8FFR

• 4 weeks later...

I would seriously suggest getting some 3mm plate and making them up yourself.

Quicker and easier.

Measurements can be easily supplied!!

Or go into a breakers yard an chop any battery mount off of a 12V series truck, they're the same. Depending where you are, there will be local enthusiasts willing to help.

Alec.