A festive view !

rnixartillery

Well,silly season is upon us up North.One of the delights working for the Highways ! although I dont like starting work at 4 in the morning :morning: but it does contribute towards the Hobby.

A couple of pics taken today just to get folk in the festive mood ! My Wagon is known as the ' Camel ' :drive:

Rob..................rnixartillery.

P051211_13.19.jpg

P051211_13.19_[01].jpg

P251110_11.33.jpg

Edited by rnixartillery

The grit you apply to icy sections of the road, is that later picked up from along the side of the road, or left and allowed to build up. I was thinking of the situation of it being allowed to accumulate and in time blocking drainage channels.

We don't get snow in the area were I live so road maintenance with winter conditions as such is an unknown factor to me.

Thanks

Doug:-|

The grit you apply to icy sections of the road, is that later picked up from along the side of the road, or left and allowed to build up. I was thinking of the situation of it being allowed to accumulate and in time blocking drainage channels.

We don't get snow in the area were I live so road maintenance with winter conditions as such is an unknown factor to me.

Thanks

Doug:-|

Doug,we spread rock salt on the road very finely about 10 to 20 grams per square meter,the idea being once driven over by traffic it breaks down and disolves.

On compact snow and ice we spread winter grit for traction, this does end up on the roadside .My area covers some of the highest roads in England,the A66 motorway,Butter tubs pass and the Tan hill pub (highest pub in England) :cool2:

I could write a book about some of the things I have seen from my Gritter cab !

Rob....................rnixartillery

Rob

Keep up the good work a light dusting in huddersfield but nothing more as yet...

At least it will pay for more toys..!

Whilst a 4am start wouldnt be great all i seem to get to drive these days is a desk so im still jealous..!

Cheers

Timbo

Send it on down then! I've got a set of new snow chains I'm desperate to try out. :-D

All in good time Tony,all in good time !

I must say that I have seen several damaged vehicles on recovery trucks today so some motorists will learn a very valuable lesson...................slow down and read the conditions of the road . :angry

Rob..................rnixartillery.

I was relieved to see that one of Tony's Scottish colleagues had gritted the Bealach na Ba before I drove over it this morning. About three inches of snow on top and rather slippery on some of the hairpins, but spectacular Christmas Card views!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bealach_na_B%C3%A0

Andy

Andy

Brilliant! Now im really jealous - not been over the 'pass of the cattle' for many years. About 30 years ago my old mans Hillman Hunter expired about 2/3rds of the way up fully laden with kids, dogs and luggage for our summer holiday in Applecross (VERY long trip from Coventry). Both the Hunter and the old man are long gone now but i still have very fond memories of the place, and am determined to get back there with my kids soon.

Cheers

Timbo