fathers of young children

rosie

would you be so kind as to answer a few questions for me?

I am currently studying for my foundation degree in early years care and my current essay is 2500 words on working with parents and families and carers in the family context. I need to discuss barriers that men come across in the early years sector and would love your views

for instance

do fathers/step fathers/single fathers/grandads/uncles etc feel they get a poorer reception from staff at the childs nursery/preschool? If so why do you think this is?

what could they do better?

do you get any/enough information about your childs development at the setting? for instance, have you ever seen your childs learning jounal/learning journey? Have you ever been invited into the setting to talk to your childs keyworker? Do you know who your childs keyworker is????? Do you recieve a newsletter from the setting addressed to you (if you are seperated from the childs mother)?

is there enough information out there for you guys? would you know where to go for support for you and your child? especially if you are a single dad?

if your childs setting offered something like 'bring a man to school' day would you go? for either answer, why?

If you have any other experiences or observations you would like to tell me about then please go ahead!

If you dont feel like answering these questions on the open forum please pm me.

MODS if this is not suitable then please delete (but I might cry!!!!!!)

No problems at all here. Our nursery staff are great. During the summer, we were invited to a parents evening. Up to the age of two, we got a daily diary of food, nappy changes, play activities etc., and regular drawings to take home. Our key worker is available to talk to no problem. It's quite a small nursery, so staff to kid ratio is good which means that it is easy to find out what's been going on. I often pick my daughter up from nursery, and the staff are always chatty to me. If we both pick her up, there's no preference as to which parent is spoken to.

So no issues at all.

PM sent Rosie.
thanks Tony

No problems at all here. Our nursery staff are great. During the summer, we were invited to a parents evening. Up to the age of two, we got a daily diary of food, nappy changes, play activities etc., and regular drawings to take home. Our key worker is available to talk to no problem. It's quite a small nursery, so staff to kid ratio is good which means that it is easy to find out what's been going on. I often pick my daughter up from nursery, and the staff are always chatty to me. If we both pick her up, there's no preference as to which parent is spoken to.

So no issues at all.

thanks very much JTJ, that sounds brilliant and sounds like you have a lovely setting for your child :-)

Keep them coming guys

Guys this is brilliant. I was sat here the other day thinking how was I going to get a good mixture of views from a diverse group of males when I suddenly realized I had whole forum full of them!!!!!!!

Thanks a million chaps, :kiss::kiss::kiss:

• 1 month later...

Passed with a good mark!

Many thanks again for all your inputs. My next essay is 3500 words on how poverty affects the child. Off you go....................

Only joking!

Love from Rosie x

Edited by rosie